Chapter Thirty-One: Back to the City

RIIIIING 

RIIIIING

RIIIIING

Oh my god, Penny could only think as a cell phone went off on the Friday after Thanksgiving, the morning after she got black out drunk. All she could think of was what secrets did she uncover for the whole family to hear. She remembers somethings, such as her first job offer. She remembers the surprise guest, Dylan Romano. She knows that he is Danny's identical brother, but she feels like she has seen his face before. 

She will have to take another look at him in the morning. 

She also remembers telling Quentin how she feels about the job. 

Ugh, she keeps her eyes screwed shut and flips over to the side, avoiding the phone call. She prays that Quentin wouldn't bring it up. If she can't say anything to her own therapist, then how is she suppose to spill her secrets to this random man that she happens to be married too. 

She is started to warm up to him, trust him a little bit. However, physical trust and emotional trust are very different things.

"Hello, Quentin Romano speaking on behalf of Penelope Marshall, how can I help," a smooth deep voice replaces the shrill of her phone. 

Wait a second, she shoots into a seated position with wide eyes. That was a mistake. The light creeping through the blinds burns her head, causing the headache she already had to multiple. The sudden movement tossed whatever was left in her stomach, a vile of vomit wanting to leave her mouth. She controls herself and her physical aliments. 

Quentin heard the bed shuffle and looked over to his now-awake wife. "Just a second," he excuses himself from the phone call to address Penny. "Do you want to talk to them right now?" He ask softy and patiently. 

She holds her hand out, ready to grab the phone, using the other to brush her red hair away from her face. 

"Hello, this is Penelope Marshall speaking."

"Ms. Marshall this is Cathrine Langmen, the General Manager for Heartbreaker. The director was hoping for you to come in for a meet and greet, signing a contract, and general business."

"I'm sorry, Heartbreaker?" Penny was very confused. Based on the language used, she concluded that it had to be for the Off-Broadway musical she was just casted in. However, she still had brain fog from the amount of alcohol she consumed the night before. 

"Yes, it is the name of the show you were casted in. Can you meet us at..." The woman on the other side of the phone spit out an address and time, which was today. 

"I'm sorry, I am currently out of the city with family for Thanksgiving. Let me talk to my ride, can I call you back in about five minutes?" Penny is trying to keep herself together, but she is fighting very hard not to lay back in bed and fall asleep. 

Quentin was on the other side of the room, sitting quietly at his desk listening to Penny. He feels a small twang in his heart and stomach. He was proud of her, proud that she landed such a sought-after role in theater, in New York City. 

He saw Penny hang up the phone and flop back into the bed, taking the covers to hide her head. He walks over to the side and nudges a lump under the covers. The lump contracted and groaned. "What was the phone call about? I don't think you are going to call them back if you go back to sleep."

A little face peaks out of the covers, for fresh air and to respond to Quentin. "It was the general manager of the show wanting me to meet the director today, I didn't really pay attention to the time, but I don't know how long it will take us to get back to the city."