Chapter Thirty-Eight: Frustration and Growth

DR, after missing his first shot at Penny, quickly figured out where she work. He already knew where she lived. He secured a small, studio apartment right in between her work/rehearsal space and the penthouse where his brother lives. It was placed under the Company's name and payed for by the Company, in cash, so it couldn't be traced back to him. 

Once he moved in, an off-white card-stock note was left on the kitchen table. 

Finish this job, or you will be finished

DR paced his room and punched the brick wall a few times. With his bloody knuckles, he grazed his fingers through his long dirty blond hair, staining a few strands. 

He had to finish this job soon, but it is far more delicate than the other ones. There was a family attached to this one...his family. He saw how Quentin looked at the girl. Once seeing his dead body, he will stop at nothing to figure out how this happened. He knows his brother is smart and will not simply see it as an accident. He will investigate to the fullest extent. Quentin and his business has many enemies, as well as past enemies as William Marshall. No one in that family will calm down until there is an arrest and there is justice. 

That is why he has to be careful. 

That is also way he is considering not doing this, for the sake of his family. 

Once he kills Penelope Marshall, he will have to go in hiding for who knows how long. He can not have her death traced back to him. 

If he doesn't do the job, he will end up looking like the girl: death by a freak accident. 

He was basically smoking his two lungs out, drinking his liver away, and never sleeping. He was hoping the addiction to nicotine or the reliance on alcohol will give him clarity. It was a dumb thought, because his brain became muddier.

Once on that muddied brain, he decided to follow and kill the girl. No thought into the action, just get it done. It will look like a mugging, he told himself. He grabbed a black sweatshirt and pulled it over his head so that his face wouldn't be recognizable. He made sure his hair was tightly secured in a low bun. He shoved his gun into a holster and stumbled out of the building. It was extremely late at night, but with the sun setting earlier and earlier, it was dark around six.  

He hid across the street from her place of work. DR saw the tired, yet vibrant, girl walk into the streets alone. He silently crossed, keeping his foot steps quite swift and calculating for an inebriated man. His long legs and her short ones proved to be an advantage as he snuck up quickly behind her. He reaches out his hands ready to run towards her and pull her away from the street light, the only light. 

She turned suddenly, causing DR to use the energy he planned for attacking to hide in a convenient dip and wall in the building. His breathing picked up, but he had to place a hand over his mouth to stop it from making any noise.  

The girl was basically running afterwards. He could hear the fast beats against the ground as she got away from whoever was following her. He could have gone after her, and he almost did. He took his first step, paused, and threw up in front of him. 

It didn't even matter anymore. 

DR's brother's apartment was extremely close. 

He ended up wiping the vile from his lips and turn to walk back to his place to sleep it all off. 

The next morning, with his usual cigarette and coffee, he turned away the tempting siren of brandy. He needed to remain clear minded for this all. He looked through drawers and bags until he found a plain sheet of paper and a working pen. In messy scrawl, he wrote a list of the ways to take out the Marshall woman.