Chapter Thirty-Nine: Working With the Co-Star

Corey Patton looked at himself in the mirror Monday morning. 

"You are getting her number because you are interesting and you are attractive." He told himself. 

"You are talent. You are loved. You are special. You can conquer the day!" He continued with his morning affirmations. Once completed and feeling totally motivated for the day, Corey sprayed a little of his favorite cologne and left for work.  

From the outside Corey doesn't seem like a womanizer. Honestly, he looked like a loser, nerd, (to use more modern language) a simp. He had little muscle, however he is fairly strong and toned, which leads to a lanky and awkward look. He face is nothing special, just plain average. His hair looked like everyone else. 

Women didn't necessarily wanted him for his looks. They wanted to be with him for his talent and status. A normal person could see him on the street and think nothing of him. A lover of the theater will squeal, run up, and need to take a picture with the man. The "chicks" he usually picks up are those who love and appreciate his time on the stage. 

He was for sure one of the most popular people to be a part of Heartbreak The Musical. It was a smart move by the director and casting director because hopefully it will drive ticket sells to see Corey Patton in an original show. 

Corey grabbed his keys, backpack, phone, and headphones for his trip to the rehearsal space. He walked to the subway , thinking of different way to approach his new coworkers. This is the first time he was infatuated with another. He is so used to girl after girl throwing themselves at him (only in certain situations though), but now he is trying everything in him not to throw himself onto her. 

Penelope Marshall was just lovely, in his opinion. With her cherry red hair and soft pale complexation, she checked off everything he found visually appealing. After hearing her sing a little bit and acting a lot, he was sold. 

Corey has no idea how to "pick-up" girls, and Corey had no idea that he had no idea how to pick up girls. Literally, on the subway train he looked up subtle pick up lines, thinking that would work. He is going to find out how wrong he is. 

Walking into the rehearsal building and taking the stair to the floor, he was hoping- no praying- that Penny would be there. His goal was by the end of the week, was to take her on a date. Corey's heart dropped when he realized that she wasn't there. There were some crew members that he didn't bother to meet yet and his other cast member,  Adam Hall. 

"Where is everyone else?" Corey asked, looking at the time. He was a little late. He really wanted to ask where Penny was, but he didn't want to come off creepy. 

"They are all in the music room learning the intro song," He said with a smile on his face. It annoyed Corey how often he smiled, like he can't handle people who are happier than him. "Yoora told me to run lines with you when you come in."

"Sounds good," he said, trying not to sounds disappointed. 

For the rest of the morning, he ran lines with Adam. It was mostly helping him since Corey's character doesn't come in until later. Corey basically learned all his lines over the weekend and hopes to work on his songs with the music director. He hopes again to work with Penny, since most of there stuff is with her. 

He has one solo song: the intro to act two. In this scene, his character, a detective , looks over a crime scene and sings about what he finds and how he is going under cover to catch this "stripper". 

Finally, it was lunch time and he actually gets to see Penelope. She was sitting with the other five girls. She looked like an angel, she was so happy. Corey was breathless for a second. He walked towards the table they were eating, but there were no open seats. He was forced to seat far from the young woman, stayed silent, and listened in on the conversation.