Chapter Seven: Rules and Getting Ready

"So, Penelope," Quentin said her name with so much hate. "Let's set down some rules."

Penny looks around for someone to save her, but Ms. Birdie must have gone up to her room for the night. The two were in the hallway, close to the door. They were too close. Quentin's objective was to intimate the small, defenseless girl.

But like a cat, trap them in a corner and they bring out their claws soon enough.

"Rule one," Quentin steps closer to the girl. Penelope was smart enough to angle her body, so it was moving towards the living room. The cat didn't have to bring out her claws this time. "Stay out my way"

Quentin had a very basic routine and if she learned it correctly, he would never have to see her again.

"Rule two," He took another step towards her. It was supposed to be intimating, but her face was so neutral, he couldn't tell if it was working or not. "No one but our families will know about this. This means that we do not have rings."

Penny wasn't sentimental over jewelry. She didn't even have her ears pierced.

"Rule three," another step. "I am allowed to sleep with other women because we are not a real couple."

So that was the reason for rule two, Penny thought. If the public knew he was taken, he would have a hard time getting girls.

Penny replied with her own rule, "Rule four, you can't bring them to your penthouse."

"Why? Are you jealous that you can't have me?" he smirks, hoping to hurt her feelings.

"No. For ten years, I have heard my father bring home his girls and stay up all night with them. I would love a decent nice sleep."

Quentin was a little shocked by this fact. Since she was young, she would be subjected to listen to her father have sex with young women all night long. But he didn't let it show on face, "Whatever the Princess wants."

Quentin carries on, "Last rule, I will never give you any money. Find a job for all I care, but I will not finance shopping sprees and coffee runs. I will only give you money for groceries. You got it?"

Penny looks away from his eyes and nods her head. She didn't want to get on his bad side even more. Penny, like her father unknowingly taught her, will remain submissive to this more powerful side. This why he says happy with her, and she remains unharmed.

Penny believes that if she doesn't follow these rules, he will hit her. Penny's father had rules in the house too. Even if she followed them, she would still lay in her bed bruised.

Still not looking in his eyes, she says, "May I go to bed now."

Surprised by the sudden obedience, he approved and watched her scurry up the stairs to her new room. A small part of Quinn wanted the girl to retaliate at his word, but he would never admit his disappointment.

She's not even hot, Quinn tried to convince himself. In reality, she was hot to him. Just because he found her hot does not mean he likes her. And that it true, Quentin did not like Penelope one bit. However, things can change.

He grabs an alcoholic drink from the kitchen and trudges upstairs. At least he could be hungover for the wedding.

***

Penny had a decent sleep. Despite sleeping in the evening, she fell asleep again in the cozy queen bed underneath the thick white comforter. She has saved up so money from past shows in San Francisco, so while she is out of a job and audition hunting, she will buy things to brighten the room.

Penny wished that her sleep could be great, and not just decent. But she had unsettling dreams. Not quite nightmares, just unsettling.

She first started out on a plane with the whole Romano family, and she could feel a pair of eyes burning into the back of her skull. She did know who, because when she looked back, it was Quentin's apartment. She walks in and goes to the fridge. Held in place by a magnet was a list of rules. She said each one out loud,