Chapter Nine: Unpacking Leads to Anger

Quentin woke up at his usual time, six-thirty. After the wedding and dinner with part of his family, he was faced with so much fatigue. Once at home, he changed into some plaid flannels and a random plain shirt and passed-out under the covers.

This morning he was still feeling fatigue, but a little better. What got worse was his behavior. He woke up already irritated. If someone even tried to bother him, he was going to start swinging. He got changed into work-out clothes and went downstairs to make his protein shake.

Already downstairs and dressed for the day, drinking coffee at the kitchen bar, was Ms. Birdie.

"Good morning, sir! Would you like me to make something for you?" Ms. Birdie asked, in a hushed tone.

Quentin didn't want to lash out on the poor woman. She was just being polite. To control his mood, he took a deep breath in and out. Through his teeth, he said, "No. I like to cook on my own. Please do not ask again. If I need something from you, I will address you."

Ms. Birdie knew to shut up at this time. But before she did, she responded, "Of course, sir. I'm sorry."

Quentin, facing away from the woman rolled his eyes. He couldn't help the fact that any voice was like knives in his ears, that he couldn't be bothered by anyone. He blended up his protein shake and left in a hurry upstairs.

For the majority of the morning, Quentin worked out his frustration.

Penny woke up in the mid-morning, from another stress-filled dream. They seem to be getting worse. She doesn't want to call them nightmares, afraid of the consequences they bring.

This time she was at her wedding, but at a church. She was wearing a long white gown, similar to the original. Beside her was her father, reincarnate, to walk her down the aisle. Penny in the dream tried to struggle, but her white pumps were stuck to the ground, no matter how much she moves, she could leave her spot. With his classic sinister grin, the grin that came alongside pain for Penny, he grabbed her arm and dragged her to the altar. She kicked and she fought. It did nothing.

Mr. Marshall threw his daughter beside a pair of feet. Penny looked up to the owner of the pair of shoes. It was Quentin Romano, with the same grin her father had.

Penny woke up at this point in the dream, with her heart racing.

She wanted to get out of bed right away and wash away the awful dream she had. So, she did just that. The shower was scolding, like she wanted to burn whatever sins she had off her body. She put her hand on the shower wall, hung her head low to let the water slide down her back, and just breathed. She just needed a second to regain her strength to put on a façade.

Out of the shower, she put on some comfy clothes. It just black leggings and a large, short-sleeve shirt. Nothing interesting, just something to move in.

In the kitchen, Penny drank coffee and ate some oatmeal. Penny was feeling rather boring today. She didn't know how to explain what she was feeling. Maybe empty.

At her first home, everything happened so fast. Her father would hit her, called her names, and threatened her day in and day out. After she went to work, she came home to him, if he was home. When she wasn't home, she took the advantage of sleeping. It was hard to sleep when he was home. He could barge into the room at any moment.

Now that she was away from it all, it just left her to her thoughts and memories.

Both things not fun for Penelope.

Like clockwork, when she was done with her food, there was a knock at the door. Just as she thought, it was the movers with her stuff. She got Ms. Birdies attention, and together with the mover, they went downstairs to the truck.