Chapter Six

Author's Note: So here's another chapter. It took me a little longer than I thought so I'm happy to finally update. Thanks for all the votes and comments! I really appreciate it! I also can't remember if I made a disclaimer a couple chapters back during one of the flashback sequences. There was a song used that I in no way own. 'The King of Broken Hearts' off the 'Pure Country' soundtracks belongs entirely to George Strait and all his legendary songwriters. Long live King George. 

Lindale, Texas

2005

"Throw it to me, Billie. Right over here." Billie's father said to the seven year old as they stood in the backyard of their small house.

It was just after dinner so the temperature had cooled down enough for them to practice throwing the ball. Billie was starting to get better and better at baseball as it would turn out which made her father proud of her. Her father was a talented baseball player himself. He was the pitcher for a local minor league baseball team which was something Billie always bragged about to all her friends at school. Your daddy's a cattle rancher? Yeah, well, my daddy's an actual baseball player. In Billie's eyes her father was the best baseball player in the world.

"That was a great pitch, Billie! Try it again." Her father told her as he caught the ball she threw before throwing it back to her. Billie caught it with ease, admiring how great her father was at pitching the ball himself. If only Billie could be that good some day.

Billie had only just gotten a place on the boy's baseball team after her mother had to practically threaten the coach to let her play. The coach first suggested that Billie should play on the girl's softball team but Billie didn't want to play softball. Softball was too easy and not to mention her father was a baseball player. Not a softball player and Billie wanted to be just like her dad. Besides...Billie just wanted to prove to those stupid boys that she could play baseball even better than they could. This was why she and her father spent countless hours after dinner practicing her pitch.

"Daddy, I wish we could do this all day and all night!" Billie called out to her father as she threw the ball again. Her father gave her a quizzical look.

"Do what, Darlin'?" He questioned and Billie shrugged.

"Play baseball." Billie told him although she really meant that she wished she could always spend time with him.

When he was home, he was there at the house all the time but when he was touring around the country with his baseball team he was always gone. Sometimes he would call home but it was rare that she heard from him when he was traveling around the country playing baseball. She missed him when he was gone. Her father was the only one she knew who could sing George Strait and not to mention he was the only one who really knew his stuff about baseball. Billie idolized him.

"Well, we're playing baseball now, aren't we?" He said as he threw the ball back to her and she caught it again.

"I know but I want to do this all the time. I want you to be here all the time too." Billie told him and Ethan just chuckled at his daughter.

He took a good look at his seven year old daughter and he realized what a tomboy she was. Billie's usual outfit consisted of a pair of beat up jeans, a loose t-shirt, a pair of worn out sneakers, and Ethan's old Texas Rangers baseball cap on her head. It was rare that Billie ever wore the frilly dresses that the other girls in town wore. Her mother always made her wear dresses to church on Sunday but Billie always managed to get the dresses dirty. Ethan lost count of the amount of dresses Billie ruined.