The different types of Anxiety

Hello everybody, I decided, before diving too deep into this book to help set a good foundation I would give you guys the basic information to help make things easier for you to understand and do your own research about if you choose too. I hope you enjoy the story and would love to hear your feedback:)

1. GAD (Generalized Anxiety Disorder): GAD is Severe, ongoing anxiety that interferes with daily activities. "This Disorder is Very Common, There are more than 3 million cases of GAD per year, 

This Disorder is Treatable by a medical professional

It does require a medical diagnosis.

It can be Chronic: "Can last for years or be lifelong."

Generalized anxiety disorder can occur at any age."

"The condition has symptoms similar to panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and other types of anxiety. These symptoms can include constant worry, restlessness, and trouble with concentration. Treatment may include counseling and medications, such as antidepressants." 

Symptoms of GAD may include:  Fatigue, lightheadedness, restlessness, or sweating, Your physiological symptoms may be: Severe anxiety, fear, or repeatedly going over thoughts, You may be more irritable than usual, You may also have unwanted thoughts, and may not be able to concentrate. Other common symptoms of GAD can include: Emotional distress, excessive worry, difficulty falling asleep, headache, nausea, palpitations, or trembling

2. Specific Phobias: "People with specific phobias, or strong irrational fear reactions, work hard to avoid common places, situations, or objects even though they know there's no threat or danger. The fear may not make any sense, but they feel powerless to stop it.

"People who experience these seemingly excessive and unreasonable fears in the presence of or in anticipation of a specific object, place, or situation have a specific phobia.

Having phobias can disrupt daily routines, limit work efficiency, reduce self-esteem, and place a strain on relationships because people will do whatever they can to avoid the uncomfortable and often terrifying feelings of phobic anxiety.

While some phobias develop in childhood, most seem to arise unexpectedly, usually during adolescence or early adulthood. Their onset is usually sudden, and they may occur in situations that previously did not cause any discomfort or anxiety.

Specific phobias commonly focus on animals, insects, germs, heights, thunder, driving, public transportation, flying, dental or medical procedures, and elevators.

Although people with phobias realize that their fear is irrational, even thinking about it can often cause extreme anxiety." - https://adaa.org/understanding-anxiety/specific-phobias

3. Panic Disorder: "Panic disorder is diagnosed in people who experience spontaneous seemingly out-of-the-blue panic attacks and are very preoccupied with the fear of a recurring attack. Panic attacks occur unexpectedly, sometimes even when waking up from sleep. Panic disorder usually begins in adulthood (after age 20), but children can also have panic disorder and many children experience panic-like symptoms ("fearful spells")." -  https://adaa.org/understanding-anxiety/panic-disorder

Panic Disorder interferes with daily life for people who have this condition, People with this condition may purposefully miss activities, "This disorder often occurs with other mental and physical disorders, including other anxiety disorders, depression, irritable bowel syndrome, asthma, or substance abuse. This may complicate getting a correct diagnosis." -  https://adaa.org/understanding-anxiety/panic-disorder

4. Agoraphobia: People with this disorder have a fear of places and different situations that may cause anxiety, helplessness or embarrassment. 

This Disorder is common and has over 200,000 US cases per year, This condition is not able to be fixed but treatment can help manage it. 

"Agoraphobia is an anxiety disorder that often develops after one or more panic attacks.

Symptoms include fear and avoidance of places and situations that might cause feelings of panic, entrapment, helplessness, or embarrassment. Treatments include talk therapy and medication."

5. OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder): This condition is Excessive thoughts (obsessions) that lead to repetitive behaviors (compulsions).

This Disorder is common and has over 200,000 US cases per year

"OCD is characterized by unreasonable thoughts and fears (obsessions) that lead to compulsive behaviors. It often centers on themes such as a fear of germs or the need to arrange objects in a specific manner. Symptoms usually begin gradually and vary throughout life. Treatment includes talk therapy, medications, or both."

Symptoms of this condition may include, compulsive behavior, agitation, compulsive hoarding, hypervigilance, impulsivity, meaningless repetition of own words, repetitive movements, ritualistic behavior, social isolation, or persistent repetition of words or actions. You may feel anxiety, apprehension, guilt, or panic attacks. You may also be depressed, have fear, or be repeatably going over thoughts, and nightmares.

6. PTSD (Post-Traumatic stress disorder): A disorder in which a person has difficulty recovering after experiencing or witnessing a terrifying event.

 "The condition may last months or years, with triggers that can bring back memories of the trauma accompanied by intense emotional and physical reactions.

Symptoms may include nightmares or unwanted memories of the trauma, avoidance of situations that bring back memories of the trauma, heightened reactions, anxiety, or depressed mood. Treatment includes different types of trauma-focused psychotherapy as well as medications to manage symptoms."                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Symptoms may include: agitation, irritability, hostility, hypervigilance, self-destructive behavior, or social isolation, flashback, fear, severe anxiety, or mistrust, loss of interest or pleasure in activities, guilt, or loneliness, insomnia or nightmares, emotional detachment or unwanted thoughts

7. Social Phobia (A.K.A Social Anxiety): A chronic mental health condition in which social interactions cause irrational anxiety.

 "For people with social anxiety disorder, everyday social interactions cause irrational anxiety, fear, self-consciousness, and embarrassment."

Symptoms may include: excessive fear of situations in which one may be judged, worry about embarrassment or humiliation, or concern about offending someone, depression or fear, anxiety, palpitations, social isolation, or sweating. Talk therapy and antidepressants can help increase confidence and improve the ability to interact with others.

This is all I have, for now, I will add more anxiety disorders later on, but I hope that has gotten a majority of them and to help with anyone of them you can follow my tips and seek medical attention. But, anyways always remember that if you ever need to talk about anything at all you can contact me at any point and I will answer as soon as possible, I love you guys and we'll talk soon bye!

Lily - xoxo