Chapter 11

EDITED

"Why were you all awkward there?" Tara frowned as soon as they entered their home an hour later.

"Because it was awkward! The whole thing was so uncomfortable!" Sonia groaned as she put the keys in the keybowl. "We had just gone to get a signature and we ended up having an awkward, unexpected meet up with Drago Barzetti, then that awkward lunch, then it was so awkward when Mrs Julia was asking me all those questions and-

"Okay if you say awkward one more time I'll stop listening." Tara held a hand up and shook her head. "Come on girl. They both were so considerate. I mean, he came all the way back from his business trip just to sign those important papers. And Mrs Julia didn't only give us an appointment to meet her but also cooked for us! Or ordered the staff to cook for us. Whatever, you know what I mean." She said as she went into the washroom to freshen up while Sonia stood at the door untying her shoes.

"I know, it was sweet of them, both of them, but...it was also very-

"Awkward? I didn't find it that way though." Tara shrugged while wiping her hands and face. "It was unexpected, yes but...maybe it was only weird for you. But why-

"I don't know, it just was." Sonia sighed as she walked in and went to the washroom. "Anyways, what we wanted has been accomplished so I think I will be fine."

"That's the girl I know!" Tara smiled as she changed into something comfortable. "I am kinda hungry again so am going to order some pizza. You want anything?"

"No, I am full but save two slices for me." Sonia said while putting on some pajamas. "I need a nap. Wake me up at two-thirty?"

"Sure." Tara nodded while on a call with a pizzeria.

A few hours later, both of them were back on their way to the construction site. They had received a much awaited call from the Mayor's office, informing them that their papers were passed and they would receive the remaining permits by tomorrow. Sonia just wanted everything and everyone to be ready to re-start the construction in full swing the next day. Although they were delayed by only a day, it was enough to send Sonia into a panic mode and Tara was more than happy to be back on track.

"I feel so relieved." Sonia sighed as she drove. "It feels as if a huge weight has been lifted from me."

"Yes." Tara nodded. "You are right. So what are you thinking to give Mr Barzetti?"

"What?" Sonia frowned. "Give him what?"

"A thank you gift." Tara shrugged.

"What thank you gift? Just for signing those papers? Just for doing what he was supposed to do in the first place? No thank you." Sonia shook her head. "On the other hand, he should be sending me an apology gift."

"Come on. He came back all the way from his trip just to-

"Even I came here all the way from America to do my job. I didn't get any thank you gift from anyone!" Sonia said.

"Why are you being so petty?" Tara frowned.

"I am not being petty! I don't get it, why are you saying all this?" Sonia shook her head as they reached the site.

"I am just trying to be considerate and professional, like he was. That's it." Tara shrugged as the car was parked.

Sonia didn't say anything as she parked the car and they got down. She sighed as Tara walked ahead of her and tried to keep up with her upset friend.

"Wow, what do we have here!" Sonia heard Tara exclaim. She stepped into the office to find a neat bouquet of beautiful yellow roses sitting proudly on her otherwise cluttered desk.