Chapter 28

EDITED

It was nine in the night as Drago was driving back home from office.

Thoughts about Sonia and Gina hadn't left his mind once. He could hardly concentrate on the meetings because, somehow, he would start thinking randomly about Sonia and then had to stop himself and think about Gina. He had never felt like this before. He practically had to force his mind to start thinking about Gina and stop thinking about Sonia.

He was called out thrice by Tisha and was left feeling embarrassed because he hadn't been listening to a word the clients were saying. Because of that, he had to re-start four meetings and one conference, making him two hours late in his usual schedule. As he drove, he once again passed the orphanage construction site and his foot automatically pressed the brake. From his seat, he could see the lights in Sonia's office switched on and couldn't help but frown.

Sonia typed away a new document to be printed as quickly as she could. It was already nine pm and almost every worker had left for the day, except a few. The whole day, she had just typed and typed, at least fifty pages just to keep her mind out of her heart and thoughts.

After she had accepted her feelings for a certain someone, they had seemed to triple in intensity overnight. All she could think about was him. His face, his smile, his words, his laugh, the way he walked, the way he listened, the way he ate, the way he drank, everything.

And she hadn't felt quite at ease. So she buried herself in work and didn't stop.

A knock on her door startled her for a moment before she sighed and shook her head.

"Come in." She said loudly, expecting a worker to inform her that he was leaving.

Instead, the man of her thoughts stood at the door, with his beautiful soft smile. Her heart rate quickened.

"Hey." Was all she could say as he entered inside.

"Hi." He said and stood there, looking a bit lost.

"Is everything okay?" She asked with a slight frown.

"Yes, yes. Why do you ask?" He said, shrugging.

"You are here, out of nowhere...so." She said and looked at him with concern.

"Oh, I was just passing by...I don't know why I am here." He said truthfully and she chuckled.

"Would you like some coffee?" She asked and he nodded, still looking awkward.

"Let's go out?" He asked and she nodded.

She quickly filled two mugs of coffee and walked out of the office as he followed.

"The construction is happening quite fast." He said as he took the mug from her hand.

"Yes. I really think it'll be completed before time. We are working on the bedroom quarters and kitchen quarters first, once they are done in a few months then the other buildings, like the medical center, playgrounds, gardens etc. will be started." She explained as they walked around.

"But you said you'll be leaving in a few months?" He asked, confused.

"Yes. Once the first building is completed, I will officially open the orphanage then leave for America. But I'll be back from time to time. This is, by far, the largest orphanage I have ever built. It's going to take more than a few years to be completely constructed. According to my calculations, it's going to take at least three and a half years. But, I can't stay here for that long, can I?" She said with a chuckle.

"Yeah." He agreed, nodding. "I suppose you have other places to be, others to help?"

"Yes." She nodded as they kept walking.

"It's really a great thing, that you are doing. I really respect you for that." Drago said an a very genuine tone and she smiled.

"Then why did you try to take the land back so many moons ago?" She asked mischievously.

"Well, this was one of my best lands and I had decided to build a hotel here, after the deal with you had been finalized. I lied that my lawyer had messed up and I know it wasn't professional at all. I apologize." He said truthfully and Sonia nodded.

"When you knew it wasn't professional, why did you do it?" She asked with curiousness.

"Well, the hotel which I was thinking of building, was...is for-

"Your girlfriend?" She asked jokingly.

"No." He chuckled. "But I hope she is soon."

Sonia's steps halted as Drago said that and her throat went dry all of a sudden. Her heart thudded loudly as Drago sat down on some wooden planks.

"There's this girl, I really like. No. Love." He chuckled as she slowly sat beside him.

Had she heard him right? Very slowly, she looked at him, praying that she had misunderstood his words. When she finally saw him, he was not looking at her but at the sky, whose stars were not enough to match the twinkle in his eyes as the man she liked confessed his love to her, for someone else.

She could feel her heart sinking. Feel the hot tears forming. The heaviness in her chest was making it hard for her to breathe. Her whole body was covered with goose bumps.

And suddenly, she wanted to cry. For what? Why was this suddenly so painful?

Her feelings, her shiny new feelings seemed to deepen and deepen into an abyss. Are unfulfilled crushes supposed to be this painful, this bitter? She didn't think so. So why did it feel like her heart was being ripped out? What was this emotion? Was it...it possibly can't be love. How could she love this stranger? And when could she have ever fallen for him? It was just impossible!

Love was supposed to take its slow sweet time; it wasn't supposed to ram into you like a speeding truck!

But it does feel a lot like love...

And suddenly, she knew for what she wanted to cry. Wanted to sob for the love which was never hers. Wanted to wail for not getting a chance to tell him about her feelings. Wanted to weep for her heart, which was broken, it's pieces hurting her so much that she wanted to just pull it out of her chest. A love for which she hadn't been given a small little chance to fight for. Her ears had stopped working, blocking every sound but how could she ignore his? He was still talking softly about 'her'.

"I've loved her forever. I'd seen her first when I was just ten years old. And she'd captured my eyes. Since then, I'd promised myself that she'll be the one who'll be mine. I couldn't imagine my life without her after that. That's why she's so special. She's my first love. And will always be."

--

I do not own this picture. Credit goes to owner.