Chapter 41

EDITED

A few knocks on the door startled Sonia and she looked up from the binder.

"Who is it?" She frowned as her friend's voice came from the other side.

"It's me! Why's the door locked?" Tara shouted in confusion.

"Oh!" Sonia stood up quickly and closed the binder. "Sorry, I just...I am coming!" She said and put hid the binder in her desk's drawer before walking to the door to open it.

"I am so sorry, I was talking to someone and closed it...and then forgot to unlock it." Sonia said as Tara walked in.

"Okay." Tara nodded and put a bag on the table. "Snack time. I got these puff pastry type thing, it's called sfogliatella. I practiced how to pronounce it all the way till here so you have to appreciate it."

Sonia nodded with a weak smile as Tara took out the snack. Wasn't this the dessert she and Drago had had weeks ago, in that osteria? It definitely was, how could she forget it!

"It's so freaking good!" Tara said as she took a bite. "Eat before I finish them."

"I'll eat later, I just had lunch." Sonia said and looked away. "I am going outside. Come when you are finished."

"Hmm." Tara nodded with her mouth full as her friend walked out of the office with her droopy shoulders and an unhappy face. "What happened to her?"

Wondering so, she walked to the desk and sat down. A crumpled, folded paper sat on a few files.

"What's this." Tara mumbled before opening it.

--

"So, what are you planning to do now?" Orlando asked his son after minutes of silence.

"I have...no idea. Should I even do something?" Drago frowned with a gloomy expression.

"Of course, why not?" Julia shook her head in confusion.

"I mean; she's already getting married to someone else." Drago gulped. "That means she obviously doesn't feel the same way towards me as I do towards her. So...should I even do anything?"

"That is true." Julia said.

"So...what about Gina now?" Orlando asked. "Do you not love her anymore?"

"I certainly don't feel the same way towards her as I did before." Drago said. "It's like...whatever I felt for her...everything just...vanished. It's not there anymore. I don't know if I fell out of love with her...or maybe, I was never in love with her, you know what I am trying to say?"

"Yes, that happens sometimes and that's okay." Julia nodded. "If you fall out of love with someone, there is always a reason behind it. Whatever that reason may be, it's you, who has to decide whether you want to fall back in love with that person or not. Trust me, it's possible. But if you don't want to, that's okay to."

"I don't want to be with Gina." Drago shook his head. "Mom, I really, really like Sonia. Love? I don't know but it can be. I mean, I thought I loved Gina but I am not sure about it now. And what I feel for Sonia, it's so different than what I felt about Gina, that I don't know what it is. All I know is that...I just wanted to give it a chance." Drago said and tears streamed down his cheeks.

Julia nodded and hugged her son when Mateo walked in.

"Sir, a Ms Tara wants to see you. She says it's urgent." Mateo said and Drago nodded.

Fifteen seconds later, Tara walked in the hall with a furious expression on her face and a paper in her hand.

"How dare you!" She shouted as everyone frowned. "How dare you investigate my friend as if she is a criminal?"

"Tara, I did not-

"I will sue you, I swear-

"Tara, I...Gina did that,I just-

"Oh wow, so you are trying to throw your girlfriend under the bus-

"It's not that, I swear, she did that-

"What was the purpose of this? Tell me? If you had done a simple background check, I wouldn't have minded. You are a businessman, you have to check the genuineness of someone you are working with, I get it. But a full-fledged investigation? Parents name, sibling names, what they do, where they live, their personal lives, all of this? I cannot believe my friend liked a man like you!" Tara said in exasperation and anger. "She liked you, you know? Liked like you and you just break her heart with this crap and-

"What?" Drago mumbled softly. "She likes me?"

"Yes! She has cried for you, for God's sake and you and your girlfriend are-

"Gina is not my girlfriend, okay?" Drago said in a rather loud voice. "She never was and she never will be. And I did not investigate about Sonia, Gina did. And I am not throwing her under any bus, I am just telling the truth. And while I am telling the truth, let me tell you, I like your friend too. Like like her. I, too, have cried for her."

"What?" Tara whispered in shock.

"Yes." Drago nodded and looked at his parents before facing Tara again. "I like Sonia. A lot."

"Why...why didn't you...say befo-

"I realized it rather late." He said and gulped as Tara looked at him.

"Now, she's going-

"I know, I know." Drago nodded.

"I think you should talk to her then." Tara said slowly and Drago shook his head. "Why not?"

"She's upset...angry with me. Doesn't want to see me, doesn't want to talk to me. I just...don't want her to get angrier with me." Drago said as Tara nodded.

"We'll be leaving for America next week." Tara informed. "If you change your mind, just drop me a message. I will tell you where she is. But...you only have this week to decide, after that-

"I know." Drago nodded and smiled softly. "Don't tell her yet-

"I won't." Tara nodded. "Sorry, I should leave now. Also, I think I will be suing Gina. You should tell her. Or not, if you want to give her a surprise."

--

I do not own the picture. Credit goes to owner.