Chapter 17

EDITED

"Is this looking good?" Tara asked, putting on a fancy yellow top and twirling around.

"Yes, it's great, now please just put on your makeup, we're getting late!" Sonia said exasperatedly as she put on some earrings.

"How can I put on my makeup when I haven't decided what to wear?" Tara said as a matter-of-fact and changed her top again, now slipping on a peach colored blouse.

"This is the one!" Sonia said, standing up quickly and grabbing the other tops Tara still had to try on. "Go, put some lipstick, I am waiting outside in the car. I want you down in three minutes, okay?"

"Okay." Tara mumbled dejectedly and walked to the dressing table to apply her minimal makeup.

"Great." Sonia said and picked up her bag from the bed and keys from the key bowl before rushing outside.

Five minutes and three horns later, Tara came running down from the stairs and outside the gate, now dressed in a deep burgundy dress and matching heels. Sonia shook her head as her friend sat in the car.

"Don't say anything." Tara said while putting on her seatbelt. "That top was too tight; I think I have gained weight!"

"Did you bring the wine?" Sonia asked as Tara nodded.

"Yes, it's in the back." She said, pointing to the backseat.

"Ok let's go." Sonia started the car and drove to their destination.

--

"Is this fine?" Orlando asked his wife as he tightened a grey tie around his neck.

"It's great. Now come on, they will be here soon!" Julia said and looked at the time.

"Are you sure it looks good? I want to impress them." Orlando grinned and Julia rolled her eyes.

"Darling, I knew you are eager to meet them but wanting to impress them as well? That's new." She chuckled.

"You know; I have a strange feeling about this whole...anyways, is this a business meeting?" He asked with a frown.

"No it's not. It maybe for Drago but not for us." She said and shrugged.

"Then I don't need a tie." He said and took the tie out just as they heard the door bell.

"They are here. I wonder if Drago is ready!" Julia wondered as they walked down the hall.

Orlando straightened his coat and Julia her hair before a staff opened the door to welcome their guests.

"Welcome!" Julia said and went to the two young ladies as they walked in the mansion.

"Thank you so much for inviting us." Sonia replied and presented a bottle of wine as a gift as Tara stood beside her.

"Oh my, this wasn't necessary!" Julia replied and took the bottle. "Oh, my favorite wine, how did you know?"

"I didn't." Sonia chuckled. "I just brought my favorite!"

"That's an interesting coincidence. Come in!" Julia said and they walked inside. "Girls, this is my husband."

"Orlando Barzetti. Nice to meet you." Orlando said and smiled before shaking Sonia's hand first.

"Sonia Alexander." She smiled and Orlando's smile widened before he turned to Tara.

"Tara Davis." She said and shook his hand as he nodded with a smile.

"Let's go inside and I will pour you all a great glass of this lovely wine!" Julia said and indicated all of them inside. The ladies followed their hosts into the beautiful living room which had a lovely dining area attached to it, all as if out of a fashion interior magazine.

When Julia had sent Tisha to formally invite them over for dinner, Tara had gotten way too excited for Sonia to refuse, so here they were a few hours later. Having a meal at the Barzetti Mansion for the second time in a week. Wow.

"Please have a seat." Orlando gestured as he sat down, followed by the three ladies.

"Mrs and Mr Barzetti, thank you so much for inviting us." Sonia said again as Julia shok her head.

"Oh dear, stop thanking me!" She chuckled. "I really wanted to see you both again."

"Ms Sonia, let me tell you, you have done something to my son and wife!" Orlando said laughing. "They can't seem to stop talking about you!"

Sonia chuckled and looked down, feeling awkward once again.

"Dad, can you not make our guest uncomfortable by saying things like that?" Drago said as he entered the hall from behind them.

"Saying things like what? The truth?" Orlando said as Drago sighed and sat down.

"So, Julia was telling me you are a philanthropist?" Orlando asked Sonia, who looked at him.

"I won't say philanthropist. Somewhat of a humanitarian." She replied.

"Are you sure you don't mean a do-gooder?" He said as Julia gasped and Drago closed his eyes.

"Orlando!" Julia exclaimed unbelievably as Sonia just chuckled.

"Many people think that. People have many things to say about why I do what I do or the way I do it just because I am from an affluent background. But I don't mind what people think because I know whatever I am doing is helping others and I am proud of it." Sonia replied and smiled genuinely. "People may like to talk about me but I don't like to listen to them."

Julia, Drago and Tara just looked back and forth between the two people, who sat there staring at each other quietly. After what felt like hours, Orlando chuckled loudly and nodded.

"I had a feeling I would like you!" He laughed and Sonia blinked. "You are a powerful woman. Bravo."

Sonia stared at him for another moment before blinking again and smiling, feeling uncomfortable once again.

"Let's eat now." Drago said abruptly, looking at the discomfort on Sonia's face and not liking it a bit. The look was marring her, she was looking so lovely in a simple, navy blue blouse and a black floral skirt with pouty red lips and hair in a ponytail-

"Drago?" He was suddenly called out by his mother and he looked at her, feeling his face burn in embarrassment.

Was he just checking out Sonia Alexander?

Looking at his parent's knowing faces, he believed he was.

--

I do not own the picture. Credit goes to owner.