Chapter 1

(A/N: Some helpful things to know: It's set in the time that the game is, while they're camping near Valentine. I also reduced Arthur's age to 30, but everything else is the same)

Arthur rubbed his chin as he listened to Lenny's proposition. Around them, the morning air seemed to wake everyone up, as they all had a pep in their step. Dutch was ranting to Hosea about some plans, and the girls were all singing some song about buffalo girls while washing clothes.

"Just hear me out," Lenny said, scooting towards Arthur on the log. "This train could be a big break. The loot could be enough to get us out west again."

Arthur took a sip of his hot coffee and sighed.
"How are just you and me going to stop a train?"

"I've already thought about it. We board the train as passengers, then when the train's in the middle of no where, we hijack it."

Arthur raised his eyebrows, mildly impressed. "That's... kinda genius."

A sly smile rested on his lips. "I didn't know you were a man of compliments."

"I usually ain't," Arthur chuckled, then set his coffee down. "So, where's this train coming in?"

Lenny jumped up in excitement. "I knew you'd want to. It'll be at the station in Valentine. We better get going soon, though. It's coming through soon."

Arthur followed him, then jumped on his horse. "Lead the way, kid."

Lenny started off with a trot, then a gallop through the trees. As they passed by Bill, who was on guard, Arthur called out to him, "Going for a job. Might be gone the rest of the day."

"Why am I always left out?" He whined in response.

The pair raced out of their camp on Horseshoe Overlook, and soon, into Valentine. The small town had always struck Arthur as an inviting place. He couldn't quite place his finger on why, but he felt at home whenever he was there. Maybe it was the smell of drunk men or the seemingly endless mud that was everywhere.

"When did you say the damn train coming in?" Arthur asked, pulling his horse to stop outside the station.

"Soon. Probably less than ten minutes."

"Good," he said, dismounting. "I don't feel like waiting for long."

The pair went inside the station, trying their best to look inconspicuous, despite their heavily armed holster. Inside, there were a decent amount of people scattered around inside. More people than usual were waiting for the train, as St. Denis was a popular route.

"Seems like a good lot," Arthur said, "Hope it's worth all it in the end."

Lenny rubbed his hands together. "Oh, it will be. Here, I'll go pay for the tickets."

As he walked away, Arthur grumbled to himself. Never thought I'd be paying to rob a train.

He stood there patiently. After a moment or two, his eyes landed on a woman standing next to him that looked frazzled. She shifted her carpet bag between her hands, and glanced around nervously.

"You alright there, Miss?" He asked, which made her eyes snap over to him.

"Um, yes. I mean, I think so?" Uncertainly laced her voice.

Arthur chuckled. "Well, which is it?"

She set her carpetbag down. "I'm fine, I guess. I just really don't want to get on this train."

This woman just kept confusing him more and more. "Then why, if you don't mind me asking, are you?"

"I have to. I don't get much say in the matter." She looked off, her eyes taking on a far-off look. "I wish there was some way I could just get away from it all."