Chapter 16

A/N: There's a decent amount of time skips, but that's because the POV changes a bit

Within the next 2 weeks, Arthur was significantly better. He was waking around, and had gained some of his strength back.

Ms. Grimshaw nearly force fed him every day at mealtimes. He had lost a decent amount of weight when he was gone, due to not eating.

Today, Jane laid next to Arthur. It was early in the morning, and he was still asleep.

Her thoughts drifted to his journal. Should she tell him she read it? Was he still planning on proposing to her? Would she even say yes?

Before she had the chance to worry even a bit more, Arthur rolled over, and still asleep, let out a deep cough.

Her heart seemed to stop as she noticed a speck of blood on his lip.

Already? She thought. She knew that this was coming, but damn, she didn't know it was coming this soon.

Her hand reached into her bag and produced the vial that Marley has given her.

With shaking hands, she gently dipped the vial against his lip, collecting the blood. She sealed the cap on as he began to stir.

"Whatch'u up to," he said, his voice rough, and she shove the vial into her pocket.

"Nothing," she replied quickly. "Good morning."

He looked at her funny, then laid his head back down. "What ever you say."

Now that she had the sample, she needed to visit Marley.

She slipped out of bed, lacing on her boots. Leaning over Arthur, she planted an kiss on hit temple. I'm going to Rhodes for some errands," she lied. "I'll be back soon."

Guilt weighing her shoulders down, she hurried to Apollo.

~~~~

"You got it?" Marley asked, putting a pair of gloves on.

Jane handed her the vial. "Yeah. Fresh from this morning. I had no idea it'd progress this fast."

"That's the thing about TB," she said, peering into the vial. "Sneaks up on you quicker than you know it."

Jane leaned up against the counter. "I guess so."

Marley took the vial and emptied its contents onto a small glass dish. She then grabbed another vial with the penicillin, and put an equal amount into the dish. After stirring it, she put it into a microscope.

She peered in as Jane moved to the other side of the table. The whole room had a tension that could only be resolved by what happened under the microscope.

It was deadly quiet for a few moments, with just Marley making the occasional hum or "tsk." Jane didn't know exactly what she was looking for, but she hoped she found it.

After another minute passed, Marley stood back up and looked at Jane.

"Well?" Jane asked.

"Well," Marley started. "I believe it's going to work."

Jane let out a joyful laugh, clapping her hands together. "Really?"

"Yes. The penicillin somehow got killed all of the Tuberculosis cells. I can't believe it," she breathed. "We did it!"

She engulfed Jane in a hug, who was surprised, but hugged her back anyways.

"No, you did it." Jane released her, and looked around her house. "You're the one who's been studying and trying for years."