Chapter 28

Guys, I am so sorry this took so long!! I've been crazy busy with school to the point my only time away from schoolwork is sleep. But, I had a minute tonight so I figured I'd update this for you all

P.S.- This chapter is kinda short

"So you flew in a hot air balloon?" Jane asked as he slid his fingers over the cool metal of her ring. They sat on their large cot, the night creeping in. They had settled into Beaver Hollow the day prior. It was an upgrade from the swamp, but still unsettling.

He coughed into his elbow, nodding. "Strangely enough, yeah. Poor bastard that owned it got shot though. Was kinda a nice feller."

She was silent for a moment. "Arthur, you're getting worse."

It was his turn to be silent.

"Can you... would you, please, take the cure? For me?"

He rubbed his neck. "I don't know, Jane. That lady's not even a doctor."

"What have you got to lose?" She said, her voice raising slightly. "Please. I'm begging you."

Sighing, he leaned his head up against the wagon side. He closed his eyes and was quiet for another moment. "Fine, I guess."

It was like someone had lifted a thousand pounds off her shoulder.

She gave him a thankful smile and kissed his cheek. "Thank you."

"But it's your fault if I grow a third eye," he said, a grin tugging at his mouth. The sound of her laugh, her smile, made him feel like he was young again. Back when he didn't have a care in the world, and felt unstoppable. Like nothing could weigh him down.

But he knew better than that now.

She got up, leaving his side cold due to the absence of her body heat. Fishing through her chest, she produced the vial, which made Arthur's heart speed up a bit. Shootouts and robberies didn't faze him, but this- of all things- made him sweat.

She must've sensed his apprehension. "It's okay," she said, almost humorously. "I'll still love you if you grow a third eye."

He chuckled, then popped the top off of the bottle. The worrisome thoughts began to push their way back, but he washed them down with the medicine.

It was all he could do to keep it down. "Goddamn," he choked, coughing.

She was biting her lip, looking up at him. "Is it that bad?"

"Worst goddamn thing I've ever put in my mouth," he said, but couldn't help but chuckle. "I think I'm gonna go get a beer."

Standing up, he offered her a hand. The pair, each exhausted but neither wanting to submit to the lonely depths of sleep, made their was to the fire, grabbing a drink on the way. There was a few people sitting around the fire.

"Hey, ya'll," he said, sitting on a log.

"Hello, Arthur. Jane," Charles said as she sat down.

At night, this place gave her the creeps. With the Murfree Brood's lurking in the forest, and the weird locals just down the road, the dark night made it seem very dangerous. But Arthur's arm around her gave her a sense of security.

"I don't like this place much," Abigail said.

Arthur sipped his drink. The sour taste of the medicine still rested in his mouth. "Well, the plan is to get out of here. And soon." Even he didn't sound like he believed it.

Hasn't that been the plan ever since I joined the gang?  She thought. It seemed as if all the jobs in the world wouldn't be enough money.

"Here's hoping," Sadie said as she took a swig of her whisky.