Chapter 23

A/N: Trigger warnings include an angry father and street harassment.

The brightness of the light made Jane groan. She rolled over in her bed to see her aunt pulling her curtains back, the morning light bursting into her room with such an energy and vigor that it made her resent daylight.

"You're going to be late if you don't get up and make yourself presentable."

Two nights had passed since she confined in her mother.

She sat up, rubbing her face. "What... where am I going?"

Her aunt opened up the balcony doors. "Stefano is taking you to brunch and on a morning stroll." She looked at a disheveled Jane. "Goodness. What's he going to think when you two are married and he has to wake up to that monstrosity?"

She just shrugged, the energy for a smart remark long gone.

"Now, get up, girl. I'll send the maid in so she can give her best efforts to make you look human."

"Always nice to see you," Jane muttered as her aunt left.

The maid came in promptly as she swung her feet on the floor.

"Good morning, miss," she said in an Irish accent. She reminder Jane of Sean, which made her smile to herself. She couldn't wait to share another innocent dance with him if she got back to camp.

"Morning," Jane said.

As usual, the maid went to work quickly and silently.

Jane thought of the gang and all the fun times she had shared with them while her hair was brushed, her face was washed, and a corset was put on. The corset was more simple and less restrictive than the other one, so she was grateful.

He nearly face planted, but caught himself before he did. "Oh, cowgirl," he growled. "You're going to get it now!" He picked up a handful of mud and socked it at her.

She let out a yell of laughter, and threw one back at him.

Soon, there was an all-our mud brawl. They were throwing endless amounts of it at each other, getting themselves more dirty in the process. They had both jumped up, laughing and yelling and slipping in the mud.

Suddenly he slipped to his knees, giving her just enough time to come up behind him and put him in a head lock, with him looking up at her.

She held a fistful of mud in her palm, and loomed it just above his head. "Oh, honey," she jokingly threatened, as a drop landed on his cheek. "I'm gonna give you a face-full of this if you don't surrender right now."

Another drop of the mud landed on his lip. "If I surrender now, I'm just gonna get you I your sleep some time at camp."

"You wouldn't dare," she taunted.

He had a mischievous look on his face. "Oh, don't test me, Jane."

She reeled back, going to squashed the mud in his face, but he quickly turned around and picked her up over his shoulder. The mud landed on his back, but it didn't matter because it was already caked with mud, as was the rest of him.

"Hey," she laughed. "This isn't a way to treat a lady!"

He chucked. "You ain't no lady. But you're one hell of a woman, that's for sure."

She bit her lip to conceal a smile at the memory.

You're one hell of a woman, that's for sure.