Chapter 24

A/N: This chapter is a bit shorter, but oh well

Tomorrow was the day. Either she would be reunited with the gang, or she had to vow her life away to Stefano.

She stiffened as her father sat next to her in the carriage. They hadn't acknowledged each other since yesterday morning, when he had found out about Arthur. Her mother, on the other hand, held Jane's hand gently. Just the action gave her a bit of comfort.

They were on their way to Bronte's for yet another dinner. The sun was just beginning to set, but it was no where as beautiful as the ones that Arthur used to take her to.

They passed the street that Stefano and her had been harassed on the day prior. The feeling of the man's arms on her shoulders made her skin crawl.

What a miracle that John has been there. What the chances were that he had been here. And when he had said "Soon," what did he mean? Were he and Arthur coming soon? What about the rest of the gang?

It was all she could do to pray that "Soon" was before tomorrow morning. And the issue of the cure was still at hand. How in the world was she going to get it? She couldn't convince her aunt. Maybe stealing it?

Her thoughts were cut of by the jostle of the carriage. They had arrived at Mr. Bronte's, and Stefano was there to greet them.

"Good evening, my love. I hope you have recovered from yesterday's situation?" He held out his hand, and Jane took it as she stepped down. Her hand in his just felt... unfamiliar. Like they were two strangers briefly encountering each other, instead of getting married the following day.

Oh, Arthur. What have I done?

"Yes, I'm fine."

He nodded his head and led them through the opened doors. "Good, good. Just think- this time tomorrow, we will be married."

"Can't wait," she said in a faux cheery voice.

The dinner was just like the one she had been at almost a week ago. But, she was a lot less nervous. Now, she was full of dread.

For dinner, they had another Italian cuisine that was foreign to Jane, but now she had enough sense to not waste time trying to figure out what it was. The maid set down the dish in front of her. It was long strings of pasta with red sauce on it. Definitely going to stain my dress with that.

She looked to Stefano to see how to eat it. Using his fork, he twisted it around in the noodles and placed it on top of his spoon. Then, he shoved the spoon in his mouth.

Before Jane could do the same, Bronte cleared his throat. "So, the wedding is tomorrow. I presume you all are excited."

"Oh, yes," her aunt answered. "I've been anticipating this for many months now. Jane, you share the same excitement, correct?"

She set down her fork. "Oh, yes. Tomorrow is going to be a big day."

Bronte smiled. "And the father of the bride. How are we feeling?"

Her father, sitting at the opposite head of the table, smiled at Bronte. "Oh, I'm very ready for the wedding tomorrow." With the candles on the table, and the scarlet drapes on the wall, her father had a red tone to his face and eyes, making him seem almost... devilish. "I'm sure that everything will go smoothly."

Suddenly, the sound of a throat being cleared came from behind Jane. The table was silent, and Jane turned to see Matteo standing there.

"Good evening, Mr. Bronte. Would you mind if I borrow Jane for a moment?"