Chapter 8

Jane tightened her grip on Apollo's reins as she rode into Valentine. John rode by her side, with Javier on her other.

The last time she was here, she had seen her father. She prayed to God she wouldn't see him again. If he saw her... well then, hell would be raised.

She tried to push away thoughts of her father and focused on the now. The world was cooling down from the long, hot day, and the sun had long since set. The trio rode into the small town as shop owners lit their buildings.

They had plans to rob some fellers that were drunk in the saloon. Anxiety gnawed away at her at the prospect of being around drunk men. They were unpredictable.

The saloon blazed with light and noise. Hitching their horses, they hopped off.

"You ready for this?" John asked.

"I think so," She said, her fingers playing with the hem of her shirt. "Will you guys keep an eye out for me?"

They both nodded. "Of course," Javier said. "Pretty sure Arthur and Hosea would kill us if anything happened to you."

She chuckled, taking a bit of the nerves off. Maybe she needed a drink or two.

Inside the bar it reeked of whiskey. It was about ten thirty at night, but there were already drunk men sprawled all over. The piano man's fingers danced across the instrument, filling the space with music and a busy feeling.

John led her to the bar, and bought the three each a drink. "Let's start the night off right."

Laughing, they all took the shot. Jane's throat burned from the alcohol. She barely drank, so she was a bit of a lightweight.

"Alright," Javier said. "Let's get some money. We'll be near if you need us, Jane."

She nodded, and smiled at the gesture. "Thanks."

The two men left her alone, and went off into the crowd.

She massaged her leg where she had gotten shot just a month and a half ago. This was the first time she'd worn pants since the incident. The wound had mostly healed at this point, but that didn't mean that it didn't hurt sometimes.

She pushed herself off the bar and into the crowd. Drifting around people, she gave sweet smiles and small waves to tipsy men.

She gracefully sauntered up the steps, where she figured she could find more drunks on the verge of passing out.

Lo and behold, there was a man unconscious that was sitting up against the wall. She glanced around before bending down towards him. There was only a few other people around, and they were mostly distracted or intoxicated.

Grimacing, she searched his pockets and coat for money. His body was coated in sweat. Jane almost gagged.

He had two dollars and a silver pocket-watch on him. Not bad.

She promptly stood up and moved on. There were two guys that were very drunk. They stumbled around, laughing and dancing, and doing God knows what.

Approaching them, she put on her best charming skills. "Well, hello there, gentlemen," She honeyed.

They dumbly turned to her. "Howdy there, miss," the fat, bald one said.

The thin one wiggled his fingers at her in attempt of a wave.

She swayed towards them. "You boys look a bit warm. Mind if I take your coats? I'll put them on the coat rack downstairs."