Chapter 15

For the next couple days, Jane would see John and Charles off in the morning, and anxiously wait for their return every night. And every time, they would come back empty handed. It was as if he had disappeared off the face of the earth.

Today, Charles and John sat next to her by the fire that was at the edge of camp. They were cautious that Dutch or Micah wouldn't overhear.

"I'm sorry, Jane." John said "We've been all over New Hanover and West Elizabeth, besides Blackwater, of course. There's no sign of him."

"That doesn't mean we're going to stop looking," Charles cut in. "We'll go back into the mountains if we need to."

Jane just sighed and sipped on her coffee. She didn't realize how much coffee she drank until Abigail pointed it out to her the other day. But it helped calm her. Better than smoking, I suppose.

"Thank you, you two. Really." Jane gave them a small smile, which was the first she'd given in days.

"Arthur's strong," John said. "Probably the strongest out of all of us. If anyone would be fine, it'd be him."

Jane pulled her shawl around her shoulders. It was slightly chilly that night.

Her heart ached for Arthur. Sure they had some issues, but that didn't mean she didn't love him. His bed felt cold and empty without him.

She wasn't an extremely religious person, but she had enough faith to say a silent prayer every night, asking for his safe return. Along with the plea, she would curse the men that took him.

Then, a small figure stood next to John. Abigail soon came next to him. "John, Jack wanted to say goodnight."

"Goodnight, Pa," Jack said, which made John tense up.

"Err, goodnight, Jack."

"Goodnight, Jack," Jane said, much more smoothly than John.

"Goodnight, auntie Jane. Where's uncle Arthur?"

Jane's breath caught in her throat. "He's uh..."

"He's on a trip right now," Charles said, which seemed to satisfy Jack.

"When will he be back?" Jack's innocence seemed to make Jane's heart fall deeper and deeper into the darkness.

"We're not sure. But soon." Charles steady voice seemed convincing enough, and almost convinced Jane herself.

"Alright, Jack, come on now. Time for bed."
Abigail grabbed his hand, leading him to their tent.

"I think that's my cue to head to bed too," Charles said, standing up.

"Me too," she said, taking Charles outstretched hand. He pulled her to her feet, and they both said goodnight to John.

Back at Arthur and her's shared tent, she sat on their cot.

She kicked her shoes off and was about to put the lantern out, but noticed a book sitting on the table. It was leather with a strap around it and seemed decently worn.

Carefully picking it up, she was curious about its contents. Was it a book? She thought. It doesn't have a title.