Chapter 13

The following days were full of business. Jane helped Hosea rob a homestead and wagon, opening up business with a fence, and for the first time, she wasn't the bait. She had made a good sum of money, too.

That morning, she woke up without Arthur's body heat near her. Lately, they had been sharing his bed (though it was innocent- Jane wasn't quite the type). Confusion and worry filled her when his spot was empty next to her. Rubbing her groggy eyes, she pushed herself out of bed in search of him.

Men stood around the fire.

"Mornin' Jane," John said, sipping his coffee.

"Morning," she returned, yawning. "Have any of you seen Arthur?"

Most of them shook their heads, but Herr Strauss nodded.

Jane didn't know how she felt about Strauss. His moral compass seemed screwed up, but most everyone around here's was. But something about him gave her the creeps. Debts and loans were a ruthless business, and Strauss was a main conductor. Also, she felt a sort of resentment against him. He was the one who got Arthur into this mess of Tuberculosis in the first place.

"I saw him riding out with Karen, Bill, and Lenny. Going to rob the bank in Valentine, I believe."

As he was talking, Jane poured herself a cup of coffee. Taking a swing, she gave a swift nod.

Why wouldn't he tell me that? Jane thought as she thanked him.

They all stood silently for a moment before John abruptly stood up. "Jane, I feel an itching for a house robbery. I heard from Hosea that you were quite the burglar. What'd you say we go to this house a bit north of here? Heard they got a bit of cash on them."

Jane was surprised for a second at his proposal, but soon figured that that was just what she needed. "Alright. When are we heading out?"

"Now," He said, heading off to the horses.

Thankfully, she was already wearing pants, so she followed him, quick in pursuit.

They hopped on and rode off. John was a man a scarce words, and led the was silently.

Eventually though, she couldn't bare the silence. "So, how are you liking Rhodes so far? Must be weird to be deputized."

He scoffed. "It's interesting, that's for sure. Not quite sure what Dutch is thinking with pulling that one."

"It is strange." She paused for a moment. "How are Abigail and Jack? I've seen Jack a bit, but I haven't had the chance to talk to Abigail yet."

"Good, I think. I hope. I think Abigail mentioned something about the boy liking the water." He said in his raspy voice, turning his horse to right.

She followed him. "That's good. He's becoming quite the little reader."

"Yeah. I just am hoping he doesn't get his head too wrapped up into books to see the world for what it really is." He was silent for a moment, then shook his head. "Never mind that. How are you and Arthur doing?"

"Good," she said, then thought about this morning. "I think."

"You think?" He nearly laughed. "Well which is it?"

She gave him a look. "You of all men should know what I mean. But..." she paused, thinking about their relationship. Everything seemed good and fine, but she had never actually been in a real relationship before. Part of her was scared. Almost as if... it were going too fast. Talking about their future, their kids, getting married- it all seemed too soon. And now they were barely together for two months, and they were already sharing a bed. When she was sweet on Peter, all those years ago, they barely held hands after being together for five months. Part of her just wanted to slow down. Arthur was an outlaw. He didn't know the first thing about taking it slow.