Chapter 14

A/N: I'm baaaaaack ;) I've been getting back into Red Dead recently, so I figured I'd start working on this again, especially since it's summer. Enjoy!

Also, I won't be covering some of the story's missions. You can assume that they happened, but I'm just mentioning the ones that add to this particular story plot.

"You burned down the Gray's fields?" Jane asked, bewildered.

Arthur just sipped from his coffee. "Just following orders."

She sighed. "Can't you think for yourself? What did we gain from this?"

"It's just the way things are, Jane. I guess you still aren't completely used to our lifestyle."

"I guess not," she said, pulling her shawl tighter around herself.

"Arthur, Micah is wanting to speak to you," Ms. Grimshaw said, stoping next to him.

He scoffed. "What'd he want?"

"You'll have to talk to him yourself. But Arthur," she said, placing a hand on his arm, "try to be civil."

"I'll try. Thank you," He said.

Ms. Grimshaw hurried off as he stood up. "I'll be back, Jane."

She nodded in response. Does he ever get a break? She wondered. Lately, it seemed like there wasn't a free day for him.

Hosea sat next to her, bringing with him the scent of cigarettes. "How have you been, Jane?"

"It's been okay. Arthur always seems to be going on jobs, but I've been fine."

"Glad to hear it," he said. He was holding a book that never seemed to leave his hands. "And I wouldn't worry much about Arthur. He's always been one to get things done."

"Isn't that the truth." She said, glancing at Arthur, who was now with Pearson, Micah, and Dutch. They were having a lively conversation. She could only imagine what they were cooking up. "Well, how about you?" She said, directing her attention back to Hosea.

"Been a bit under the weather, but nothing time can't fix."

She nodded. "That's good, I guess."

"How's Arthur doing? With the... TB, you know."

"He doesn't have many symptoms yet, which is good. Though, I'm still scared for when they show up."

He nodded slowly, leaning on his knee. "Are there any ways to stop it, or slow it down, at least?"

"Well, we went to visit this woman who said she almost has a cure. Called pen...pecil... I don't know. Something strange with a "P". Arthur doesn't want to try it, but I think he should."

"I also think he should. What's he got to lose?"

She threw her hands up in the air. "Exactly! Could you try to talk some sense into him?"

Hosea looked to the edge of camp. "I would, but it appeared he just left with Micah and Dutch. God knows what for."

"Just left? He didn't say anything to me."

An awkward silence settled in the air, but he soon interrupted it by clearing his throat.

"Well, when he gets back, I'll talk to him. Try to keep your mind off it, Jane. It's not good to worry."

"I suppose so." Jane set down her coffee cup. "I'm going to visit that woman, if anyone asks. Feel better." And with that, she went off to get changed. Behind the wagon, she traded her pants for a skirt, and put on a clearer shirt.