Chapter 19

Jane paced around the room. What would she do now? Was Jack okay? How would she get back to Arthur?

Her breaths were quick and shallow, due to her panic and her stupid, stupid dress. Her aunt had made her take a bath, then stuck her in this blue dress. It resembled the dress Jane had worn when she first arrived in Saint Denis. But, the bodice was a lot tighter.

The color of it closely resemble that of the sapphire on the ring Arthur had gotten for her.

Oh, Arthur. Where are you? Of course she wanted to get out of here, but what then? She and Arthur weren't on the best of terms, so it was bold of her to assume that he would come for her at all. What if he had told the gang what happened, and none of them wanted her back?

She wanted to rip her hair and cry at the same time. She couldn't get married to some stranger. She couldn't.

But she needed the cure. Arthur needed the cure. And she couldn't leave without it.

"Jane?" Her aunt's voice rang out. "Time for your first lesson!"

She groaned, and tried to regather herself. "Coming!"

The guard followed her downstairs and into the grand room. He was the same one from Mr. Bronte's, Matteo. Mr. Bronte has insisted that he gave "the most adequate guard to keep his future daughter-in-law safe."

The whole house, or finishing school, was beautiful. The outside was green and had large balconies with plants dangling. It was very close to Mr. Bronte's, as it was just a street away.

Inside, it was just as regal as her aunt. The floor was marble, with high ceilings. There was a grand piano and a chandelier.

Coming from the small town of Valentine and living next to wagons for the past couple months, Jane felt out of her habitat. Especially with that stupid dress and flats on.

"Come along, Jane. Into the parlor." Her aunt guided her in, and had her sit down on the couch. "Now, your first lesson is about your mind."

Jane looked at her strangely.

"I understand you were running with some outlaws? Now, that is over. You live here now, in a refined and civilized area and I expect you to act as such. I want you to repeat after me, "I don't like that life. I am a graceful, submissive young lady now, and I will not go around those disagreeable people."

Jane clenched her fists together. Her aunt was trying to brainwash her?

"Come on," she said, drinking from a wine glass. "It is not polite to keep people waiting."

"Fine," She said, sighing. "I don't like that life. I am a graceful..." she trailed off, forgetting the next word.

"Submissive."

"Submissive young lady now, and I will not go around those disagreeable people." She said them flat-toned voice, and did not really mean them.

Her aunt smiled. "Good. Now, I want you to write that twenty times. And Jane," she said, placing a hand on Jane's, "I know you're probably upset about this, but it's what's best for you. You'll get to live a safe, stable life with an upright man."

Jane didn't say anything, but just stared at her.

"Good. See you're already leaving to hold your tongue. Now, get writing. I'll check back in a bit." Her heels clicked across the floor as she trotted away.

Jane huffed, and began writing.

I don't like that life. I am a graceful, submissive young lady now, and I will not go around those disagreeable people.