Chapter 27

This was probably the worst place she had ever been. Besides St. Denis.

The gang, or the remains of the gang, was hiding in an abandoned settlement in the swamps. It wasn't exactly homey.

Jane knew that this place was bad when she was greeted with skulls on sticks at the arrival. How in the world did Herr Strauss know about this place?

It had been three days since the bank job. Jane was sitting inside, on a bedroll, that evening. For the first time, she despised the outside more than the in.

Good God, she thought, Is Arthur really leaving me? What if I never see him again? There had been no sign, no trace of the missing men. She didn't know if they were halfway across the world, shot, or the next state over. It almost made her feel that her mother's sacrifice was for nothing. He and I got a day. A day! Now he got taken from me again.

And her heart ached for Hosea. And Lenny. Sean and Kieran too. It seemed as if every day someone dropped.

Hosea had been like a father to her. He had been one of the few things that kept her sane the last couple months. Now he was dead. And for what? A few dollars?

The more she thought about the gangs' lifestyle, the more pointless everything seemed. They were killing people, killing themselves for what? A few pieces of paper that everyone just decided was more valuable than life?

She had taken up sewing as a way to keep the worrying at bay. Every time someone mentioned Arthur or any of the missing men, it was as if someone dunked her in ice cold water. And the mourning for Hosea, her mother, and Lenny still filled her thoughts.

It was all she could do to hope that she wouldn't have to mourn for Arthur.

Jane could hear the rain start outside and soon enough, drops were falling into the pails set around the room. The room became a bit more crowded as people migrated inside.

No one really talked, besides the usual small talk and bickering. Camp seemed so empty without the rest of them.

She finished a stitch as Sadie made her way next to her. Sitting down with a grunt, she leaned against the wall.

"You okay?" Jane asked.

Sadie sighed. "I guess so. Past few days have been rough ones, that's for sure."

Jane was silent for a moment, the worries creeping back in. "Will... do you think the men will come back? Do you think they're even alive?"

"To be honest, I don't know. If they're able to, I know they will. But God knows what kind of trouble they've gotten into."

Jane's hands rubbed together. "I just can't even think about what's happened to him-" she began, but stopped when her voice cracked.

The look Sadie gave her was one of pure assuredness that it could convince a cat it could bark. "Jane, Arthur is one of the strongest men I've known. If he can make it back to you, he will."

Jane could only hope he was alive to come back to her.

~~~~

She clipped the shirt to the string, convinced the humid air would keep it from drying. Being in the swamps, the canopy kept most of the sunlight from them.

The days seemed to pass quickly and slowly at the same time. Today, she figured she'd do something productive.

It wasn't an exaggeration that her heart was hurting for Arthur. It was like the world didn't want them together, so constantly was ripping one away from the other.