Chapter 25

Jane didn't eat, smile, or talk that morning.

No, no, no, was the only thought in her mind.

There was no way for her to escape this now. Arthur was being help captive, Matteo as reassigned somewhere else, and countless guards were stationed everywhere.

She sat on the balcony, the light morning breeze blowing a strand of hair in her face. This is it, I guess.

"Jane," said a voice outside of her door. It was her aunt, who didn't wait for a reply to open the door. "Good morning." She was already dressed up. The light orange dress had a bunch of frills on it, which she never wore.

"Morning," She said quietly, her legs drawn up to her chest.

Her aunt shook her head, moving closer to Jane. "It will all be over soon. This is a good thing, Jane. You'll see in time."

Her gaze didn't waver from the busy street. "I suppose so."

She was quiet for a moment more, but then began back towards the door. "I'll send the maid in. She has your gown, I believe."

Jane didn't say anything. Her aunt promptly left, leaving Jane alone once again.

Oh, Arthur. I had so many dreams with you. That's the way of the world though, I guess.

She was void of emotion as the maid came in, carrying her wedding gown.

Just like the other mornings, the maid did her hair, putting it up in an elaborate pompadour hairstyle.

The image of Arthur bound and laying on the wet ground last night made her shut her eyes tightly. Stefano also seemed to reveal his true character last night. It made her resent him all the more.

The maid the put a corset on Jane. It was one of the more restrictive ones, and she held back a groan. She could feel her ribs being forced inward as the maid pulled the strings tighter and tighter.

After her insides were rearranged, the maid put shoes on Jane. They were silk and had a slight heel.

Finally, the gown was put on. Jane slipped it on over her head. The silk slipped on over her body, and it appeared just as it did on the mannequin. Though Jane did not want to get married, the dress made her feel ethereal. It wasn't poofy, with she liked, but rather fell straight down. The sleeves were draped over her arm, ending just above her elbows. But, apparently her aunt had talked to the tailor, as there was a fair amount of lace on it.

She pinned a veil in her hair. It was a very thin material and went down to her lower back.

As a finishing touch, the maid placed the necklace Stefano had gotten her around her neck.

To Jane, it felt almost like a collar, like it was the way to mark that she was his property.

She studied herself in the mirror. It seemed to reflect someone back that she did not recognize. Beautiful, but not genuine.

There was a knock at the door. It opened to reveal her father, who was dressed in a tux.

"You look beautiful," he said, examining her.

She didn't say anything.

"Listen," he started as the maid left. "I know how you're feeling. I-"

"You don't have a clue how I'm feeling," she said in an emotionless voice.

"This is all for your good." Even on her wedding, he still couldn't find a lump of pity in him.

"So it's not for the fact that you'll be getting compensated for me from Mr. Bronte?"