Chapter 22

A/N: This chapter is kind of a bunch of short scenes, so it's a bit different than my usual format. Also, I had terrible writers block with this chapter, so I'm sorry if it's horrible.

Jane rubbed her stomach from where the corset had been moments before. She sat on her bed, with a nightgown on. It was much more comfortable than the gown.

Her heart was aching, but the rest of her was buzzing. Arthur had been right here, in my arms! The chances that I would have seen him there.

Now, she needed to focus on getting the cure. Maybe she needed someone on the inside to get it for her. Perhaps she could blackmail Matteo into doing it.

Speaking of Matteo, there was a light knock on the door. In popped his head. "May I?" He asked.

Jane nodded, setting down her hair brush.

He made his way into her room, leaning his gun up against her wall. "So, who really was that guy?"

She sighed as he sat on the step to her opened balcony. "How do I know that you aren't going to run off to Stefano and tell him all of this?"

Matteo chuckled. "Well, first off, your scary 'friend' would kill me, and because... well, I don't know. There's no good reason why I won't tell him, but I just need you to trust me that I won't."

She bit her lip, considering what he was say. Sighing, she obliged. "Fine. I met him a couple months ago. I guess you could say he's my beau. Long before I even knew Stefano existed."

"How'd you guys meet?"

Hopefully, she could trust him. "Well, I was running with a gang before I got kidnapped and taken here. I met him there. He actually helped me get out of this marriage the first time too."

"Then why didn't you run with him tonight?" He waved the smoke from his cigarette out of his face, causing her to notice his gray eyes.

"My aunt has something of mine that I can't leave without."

He clicked his mouth and nodded. "Figured as much. What is it?"

"Well, he- Arthur- has Tuberculosis. She had something that's supposed to cure him."

"Nasty business."

She wrapped her shawl around her shoulders as she agreed with him. "So, how about you? For being such a close friend of Stefano's, you don't seem to be very loyal."

He chuckled and released a long string of smoke. "Well, truth is, he and I were never super close. I didn't really come oversees for him, I came for Chiara."

She gave him a questioning look, causing him to continue.

"She was my world, my sweetheart. But she was arranged to marry Stefano's older brother. I wanted to run away with her, but Bronte- the snake- wouldn't let her. A month after we got here, she's married and I'm left a lonely guard."

Jane's eyes were wide at that. "Matteo, I'm sorry."

He chuckled bitterly. "Oh, it's all fine. But I guess I don't want to see the same happen to you and, what was his name? Arthur?"

Jane nodded. "Really? You've had quite the turnaround since you held that gun to me that one time."

He grinned. "Just looking good for the boss, eh?"

"So you're really willing to help?" Jane looked at him skeptically.

"Yes, I... I think so."

~~~~