Chapter 21

Jane did her best to breath as the maid tightened the corset as far as she could. It felt like her insides were being pushed up and out of her throat. Never would she wish this on her worst enemy.

The maid didn't speak, just moved from task to task. After tightening the death trap, or corset, as tight as she could, she grabbed the gown from her bed.

Jane held her arms up as it was slipped over her head. Damn, is this itchy.

Once it was on, the maid laced the back shut as tight as she could. Jane couldn't deny that the dress itself was very beautiful.

The silk-covered-lace, two innocent fabrics, nearly fooled Jane at just how sinful she was. It hugged her just below her shoulders. The light pink color reminded her of the light blush on Arthur's cheeks whenever he used to kiss her before...

Well, before everything went to hell.

The maid finished tying up the back, and looked to Jane for permission to touch the necklace that Stefano had given her the night before.

Jane nodded. She gingerly grabbed it, and went around Jane to clasp it around her neck. She lifted the stray curls that had been left out of her pompadour hairstyle.

After she clipped it in place, the maid stepped back, acknowledging that her work was complete.

Jane examined herself in the full length mirror.

I'm a far way from the Van der Linde gang now.

Her mother and aunt came into the room then, and the maid slipped out.

"My goodness, Jane, you look astounding," her mother gushed, standing behind her in the mirror.

Even her aunt seemed to lighten up a bit. "Yes. I'm surprised you've been doing as well as you are."

Jane smiled. Surprise, surprise- it wasn't genuine. "Thank you, Mother. And thank you, Aunt Beatrice. It's recently crossed my mind- have you reconsidered giving my... bottle back?"

Her aunt chuckled. "Always been an eager one. My dear, you may have it back after the wedding. What in the world is it, in the first place?"

Jane considered her next words carefully. "My friend made it. It's an... accelerant for plant growth. She's entrusted it with me. I don't want to disappoint her."

Her aunt nodded, looking into her wine glass. "Interesting. But, you shall get it back after you and Stefano's wedding."

Jane nodded. She was safe for now. "Thank you."

Her mother looked at her with skeptical eyes. She could see right through her.

For some reason, she didn't say anything.

A few moments later, they were, once again, in a carriage. Jane wasn't that nervous this time, but she didn't really feel like going. Social climbing wasn't her cup of tea.

Upon their arrival, Jane was greeted by Stefano. He appeared completely comfortable in his suit.

"Greetings, my love. You look like the fiori my father grows in our garden."

Jane looked at him, confused.

"Fiori. Flowers. And that necklace matches your eyes rather well."

"Thank you, Stefano."

He grinned, and held out an arm for her to take. She took it, and he led her into the party.

There were many people, just as dressed up as her. Many curious eyes looked at her and Stefano.

"My father will be greeting us later. He is busy right now. But you. Tell me a bit about yourself."