thirty one

our alarm sounded at 2am. we were flying to australia in just two hours. though i was completely exhausted, my body was filled with adrenaline. i had always wanted to go to australia and it was finally happening.

i tapped billies shoulder and kissed her forehead as she groaned, pulling the duvet over her head. we said goodbye to our luxurious hotel bed that would be replaced by a tour bus bunk once we arrived in sydney.

outside it was dark, the cool breeze blew through our hair as we made our way to the uber. i took in the new zealand scenery one last time, swinging billies hand as we went along. i must say, the early mornings may have been hard, but once we were awake they made everything more fun. the main reason we always left so early was cost reasons, late night flights were always cheaper.

it was going to be a three and a half hour flight until we arrived in sydney, so we had a while to sleep again. billie rested her head on my shoulder once we were in the uber, letting out a sigh as she closing her eyes. i smiled softly as i shuffled closer to her and put my head on top of hers. i felt so safe with her.

i had almost fallen asleep as we pulled up outside the airport. my eyes opened in shock from the cold air as the door was opened for us.

we all walked sheepishly through security and to yet another gate, sitting for barely ten minutes before we boarded.

the plane was filled with purple lights and i was immediately reminded of the first flight i took with the o connells to paris. billie must have noticed too because she looked back at me as we walked down the aisle or the plane. she held a gentle smile, huffing as she sat down by the window and held my hand as i cuddled up next to her. we fastened our seatbelts and before the plane even took off we were both asleep.

***

we arrived in sydney at 5am, even though it was basically 7am for us.

we all sluggishly climbed down the steps and took in the australian air. as soon as we made it to the airport building we were swarmed with press.

i have to admit, it felt good being able to walk with billie without being covered like i had been over the last four months. i wanted to shove it in everyone's face that i was with her and i wasn't the slightest bit sorry about it.

"im about to fucking cry." billie said under her breath, loud enough so i could hear. "you don't have to answer any questions baby, and we can go straight to bed after. ok?"

she nodded and held onto my arm, walking closely beside me. i listened to the media's questions.

"billie, how does it feel having the whole world know you're gay?"

"she's bi." i replied to that question out of frustration at their ignorance i guess, making billie chuckle under her breath.

"can we get a couple's picture?"

"will you be at the beach while you're here?"

"smile, girls."

"will you be dressing your kids in louis or gucci?

we made it to outside the airport finally. one of the bodyguards, sully, had to keep back the press so we could actually get into the bus. all this news about sexuality and our relationship had probably tripled the amount of press than there usually was. thankfully, the tour bus was waiting in the parking lot.