Chapter 9

Things had been extremely... Awkward and hectic for me recently, to say in the least. First and foremost, school had been awful. Somehow an image of Billie and I at the mall had gotten out. Now everyone at school is up my ass trying to be friends with me and constantly asking about Billie.

And then there was Billie, herself. She had been weird recently. It's almost like she'd been avoiding me. If I text her I get short responses. Our conversations just started getting shorter and shorter. It was honestly beginning to upset me. I mean, I get it, that girl is a busy one. But is it selfish of me just to want her to respond to me and actually seem like she wanted to talk to me? ...Probably. She does have a life outside of me and my little group of friends.

"Ugh! This is dumb. People at school are getting on my nerves. And I don't get why I'm so upset about her not texting me..." I groaned into the grey comforter of Jayda's bed. We were having a sleepover at her house because we just felt like hanging out.

"First of all, they're all hoes who just want to get to Billie for fame. Secondly, bro, you obviously care so much cause you like her!" Gabby said.

"Yep." Michelle agreed without looking up from her phone. I took my face out of the blankets and pouted.

"So? Just because I like her doesn't mean I should be acting all weird and clingy."

"Did you just admit that you like Billie...?" Jayda grinned and nudged me. My eyes widened a bit.

"Pft! No! That's ridiculous." I avoided eye contact.

"Just admit it..! It's pretty obvious to everyone around you." Michelle laughed with a shrug.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever. How about we get off of this subject and actually do sleepover things!" I groaned.

"Ooh! We could watch a movie?" Gabby suggested. I sat up.

"A horror movie!" I grinned, noticing that it was already around 9:30pm.

"Oh c'mon, Avery! You know how I am about horror movies!" Jayda pouted.

"You big baby! I'll be here to protect you!" I puffed out my chest a bit, "And we can play one that I watch religiously! How about... Oh! The Conjuring? It's not even scary to me because I've watched it so much. It just kinda sets the sleepover mood."

"Yes! I love that movie! It still scares me!" Michelle agreed. Gabby just shrugged her shoulders.

"I've never seen it before, but I'm up for a horror movie." We all turned to Jayda who was still thinking about it. After a moment she groaned.

"Fine... I guess..."

----

We had made it about halfway through the movie when I felt my phone start buzzing. Gabby paused the movie as I picked up my phone.

"Huh... It's Billie. Calling after 10:00..? That's kinda weird.." I said.

"Ooh, put it on speakerphone!" Michelle said.

"Fine, but you guys have to be quiet." I answered the phone and put it on speaker.

"Hello? Is this Avery?" And unfamiliar voice rang out from the other side of the phone.

"Yes..? Who's this?"

"This is Isaac Bell, one of Billie's friends. Uh, my brother and I kiiinda took Bil out to party and now she's completely trashed and  insists that you come and get her... Sorry." I saw the girls freaking out beside me as I sighed.

"Alright... Just send me the address or your location or something and I'll come get her... Good lord she's a handful.."

"Tell me about it.. Anyway, we'll see you soon." I heard the line disconnect and I groaned.