Chapter One: English Summer Rain

Nick scanned the final item and turned to the customer. 'Would you like a 5p or 10p bag with that?'

He took the customer's money, handed them a receipt and sat back with a sigh. In a week, everyone he knew would be returning to college, except for him. He would be here. Alone. It was nobody's fault but his own, and he didn't even care about completing his A-levels, but he still felt a certain degree of bitterness about it.

Out of the corner of his eye, Nick saw a customer approach. He straightened up and put on his best smile, turning to her, and froze at the familiar face.

'Nick?' The girl before him had shoulder length, honey blonde hair and hazel eyes, and was, unmistakably, Dave's ex, Linda Langmann.

'Hi, Linda.' Nick kept his smile in place. He knew all too well how this went. This was the moment she would start teasing him about having to work at Tesco, make fun of his uniform, call him poor. He refused to give her the satisfaction. He was entirely unprepared for what actually happened.

'Oh my gosh, Nick! It's so good to see you!' Had the register not been between them, she looked like she might have hugged him. 'How are you?'

'Er . . .' Nick swallowed. 'Er, I'm fine. You know. Working. You?'

'Never better. It's been a strange year, but . . .' She bit her lip. 'Listen, I never said. I'm really sorry, about the way I acted towards you, how I treated you. And you have no reason to believe my apology is sincere, but I promise you, it is. I'm a very different person now than I was back then. I hope you can believe that.'

'Oh. Er, it's okay. You're forgiven, I guess.'

'Oh good!' She smiled, looking genuinely relieved and happy. 'I'd been hoping I might run into you, actually, just so I could say that . . . Been in France most of the summer, and going back to college soon, so . . . I'm a boarder, you know.'

'Heard a rumour, yeah.'

'All girls' sixth form. I was upset at first, but honestly, I think it's the best thing that's happened to me. I've learnt a lot about myself.' She checked behind her, to see if there was a queue forming, but the shop was practically empty. 'So, how's Dave?'

Nick averted his eyes. 'Oh . . . We're . . . We're not together anymore.'

'Oh, no! You were so cute together! What happened?'

'Rather not talk about it.' Nick scanned her items without looking at her.

She paid and said, 'I'm sorry. Looks like I upset you. Are you okay?'

'Yeah.' He gave her his customer service smile again. 'I'm fine. You have a good evening, Linda.'

Linda smiled. 'Thanks. You too.'

As she turned to leave, Nick said, 'Hey. You look good, with your natural hair colour. Looks better than the platinum thing you had going.'

She smiled. 'I know, right? No idea what I was thinking back then. See ya, Nick.'

* * *

It was raining when he stepped outside after helping to close the shop. He didn't have an umbrella, but the rain felt pleasant enough and he walked home, hands in his pockets. His uniform was soaked by the time he got in.

'Hey, how was work?' asked Zoë from the sitting room. Nick stopped in the doorway. She was snuggled up on the sofa with Richard Javelin, watching television. Their relationship had been official since around March, and he had recently moved in with them. Nick liked Richard. He was good to Zoë, and he was good to Nick, as well. Besides, after everything that had happened, his sister deserved all the happiness she could get.