Chapter Fifteen: A Million Little Pieces

Matt put his arm around Nick's shoulder as they left Sapswell College after band practice. 'So! You guys coming to my birthday party? Eighteen, motherfuckers!'

'What's gonna change? You've done everything eighteen-year-olds can do for years already,' said Stuart.

'Except vote. Now I can vote! I can kick out the Tories!' Matt grinned. 'So, are you lot coming or what?'

Stuart shrugged. 'Sure.'

'Of course I'll come!' Nick smiled, but it faded quickly. 'Hey, you guys . . . At the party, please tell me if I'm getting too drunk?'

Matt's smile softened. 'Of course we will. I promise. Right, Stu?'

'Don't call me that,' said Stuart automatically. Then, 'Of course, Nick. I won't let you crash and burn again.'

'Best friends anyone could ever wish for, you two,' said Nick.

'You feeling okay about Dave being there?' asked Matt.

'I already told you, I can handle being around him now. We've talked a lot lately. And Evan's been helping me too. I can see him without going completely off the rails now. I promise.'

'Good!' Matt squeezed his shoulder. 'That's all I need to know.'

They bid Stuart farewell and headed towards the bus. Matt lit a cigarette. 'I've got lots of cool people coming this time. Some friends from Birmingham. I think you'll really like them. But you guys are the most important. You and Stuart, and Alan, of course.'

'And Dave,' said Nick, smiling. 'Again, I'm fine. You can speak his name, I'm not gonna die.'

Matt shrugged. 'And Dave. I just want to be tactful. But . . . You've come a long way, Nick.' They halted at the bus stop and Matt put another arm around Nick's shoulder and kissed his cheek. 'I'm proud of you.'

* * *

Last year's birthday party had been a small affair, following the Oxymorons gig at Café Underworld, with just the inner circle. In comparison, this party was huge. Matt's parents had once again obligingly left town for the weekend, so Matt could wreak havoc in their home undisturbed. Once again, Dave was hit with how much Matt's parents trusted him. Of course, these days, he had a trusting and kind parent himself.

After Christmas, Dave's father had temporarily vacated the house, until his mother could find a suitable home for Dave and herself. A rather nice house was about to come on the market that she had her eye on, not far from where Alan lived. It would be strange, moving out of the house he had grown up in, but then that was going to happen soon, anyway. He'd be going off to uni come autumn, after all.

'Dave! Dave, Dave, Dave, it's so great to see you!' Matt flung his arms around Dave's neck and kissed his cheek. 'I'm so glad you're here!'

'You're already quite merry, I see,' said Dave, smiling. He handed him a gift bag. 'Contribution to the party.'

Matt opened the bag and pulled out a bottle of whisky. 'Oh, wow! No, I'm saving his. Alan!'

Alan came over, rolling his eyes. Clearly, he was far more sober. 'Hey, Dave.' He gave Dave a half hug. Since he had started seeing Matt, and especially since he had started to come out to more people, Alan had become a far more physical person. Hugging other guys had been a rare occurrence before, reserved for drunken vows of friendship and brotherly love, but these days he hugged his friends regularly.

'Alan, would you take this and put it in my room so I won't drink it? I don't want to binge drink good whisky.'

Dave laughed. 'It's not super fancy or anything!'