Chapter Ten: Narcoleptic

Nick felt inexplicably nervous. He hadn't spoken to Brian since that weekend, and the thought of calling him up now, nearly three weeks later, made him feel slightly sick. But he knew he had to. He couldn't just leave things like this. He considered just texting, but that felt so impersonal.

Brian picked up after only a couple of rings. 'Nick!' He sounded almost breathless. 'Hey!'

Nick found himself smiling. 'Hey. Is this a bad time?'

'Not at all. I was hoping you'd call. I've been . . .' He seemed to pause, and Nick waited. 'I'm sorry. I really fucked up, didn't I?'

Nick sighed. He didn't know how to answer that. Brian both had and hadn't. Nick was the one who had truly fucked up.

'I'm really glad you called,' said Brian softly. 'I . . . I miss you.'

'Yeah . . . Listen . . .'

'You're breaking this off.'

Nick blinked, surprised. He hadn't expected that. He bit his lip and said, 'I think I have to. I'm sorry.'

'No. No, it's okay. I get it.'

There was a pause. 'I think I may have some stuff at yours,' said Nick at last. 'And . . . I'd like to, you know, see you. Say goodbye. Is that okay?'

'Yeah, of course.' Brian's voice was soft, but he sounded like he was smiling. Nick could picture that smile clearly. It was a kind smile.

'Thought I might come up to Birmingham, this weekend maybe, if you're free? Just for a day?'

'Got a gig on Friday,' said Brian. 'But I'm free Saturday. That work for you?'

'Yeah, that should be fine,' said Nick. 'I'll . . . I'll let you know when I'm on my way.'

'Yeah. See you then.'

* * *

Now that they had slept together once, even though they hadn't gone all the way, it was hard for Dave to keep his hands off Patrick. He hadn't wanted anyone this badly since the early days of his and Nick's relationship. He had long since discarded the notion that he was only gay for Nick. Clearly, he was just generally gay, because he had never wanted a girl this way.

So the weekend after, instead of going out, they stayed in. Dave's father had a business dinner to attend in London, and his mother had gone with him to spend time with a friend from her school days who lived there, so they had the run of the house for the whole weekend if they so wished.

When his boyfriend showed up Friday night (and Dave wasn't yet used to thinking of Patrick as his boyfriend, though it sent a thrill through him when he thought it), Dave was tempted to dispense with any preamble and just get him into his bed. He felt that might be rude, though, and instead they ordered a pizza and drank a couple of ciders while watching a movie. Dave put his arm around Patrick's shoulders, and Patrick snuggled up to him with a contented sigh.

When they had eaten, the film was soon forgotten, however, and they ended up lying on the sofa, Patrick on top, both of them panting and hard.

'Wanna go to bed?' Dave murmured, and Patrick nodded. Dave turned the TV off, and they fairly ran up the stairs and fell into Dave's bed.

Patrick instigated this time, undressing Dave clumsily, and then himself down to his pants, before nestling between Dave's legs and taking him into his mouth.

'Fuck . . .' Dave hissed, running his fingers through Patrick's auburn hair. He found that if he pulled at it just a little bit, Patrick let out a pleased hum that reverberated through Dave's cock and up his spine, and he swore again. 'You are way too fucking good at that for someone who's hardly done it before . . .'