Chapter Two: Brick Shithouse

Dave closed the lid on the box with some finality. 'There. Wish I could help you move these in, too.'

Mellie smiled. 'Don't worry about it, I'll be fine. And you need to get home and prepare for the start of the academic year, too.'

'So not fair.' Dave shook his head and grinned. 'We should be doing this at the same time. You're just a month older than me!'

They had celebrated Mellie's eighteenth birthday with pomp and circumstance. Or, as close to pomp and circumstance as you could get with a guest list of twelve. Mellie's circle of friends was not the most numerous, but they were all good people, and fiercely loyal. She had really blossomed her final year in college, and she looked and acted more confidently than she ever had before. Dave was proud of her.

Mellie grinned. 'Yeah, well you'll just have to finish your A-levels first, mister.' She closed the lid of the final box and admired their handiwork. 'So, where are you going to apply to for uni, you think?'

'Anywhere I can study medicine,' said Dave with a shrug. 'I'll probably apply for here, too.'

'Ooh, I hope you end up here! Maybe we could get a flat share together and not have to live in halls . . .'

Dave laughed. 'I'm sure it's not so bad. At least you have a single room. Looking forward to fresher's week?'

His cousin made a face. 'Being made to get wankered with a bunch of strangers? I can think of a lot better things to do with my time. But, I suppose I must.'

'Well, be careful. Lots of guys out there might be looking to take advantage of someone as beautiful as you.' Dave kissed her cheek. She giggled.

'I don't think I'll be first on anyone's mind.'

'Stop selling yourself short, Mels. You're gorgeous. Believe me.'

Mellie laughed out loud. 'No, I'm not. But, thanks for saying it.' She smiled and hugged him. Then they were quiet for a minute, and Mellie sat down on her bed. 'Hey . . . You haven't said and I haven't asked, but . . . Have you seen Nick at all? Since . . . since then?'

Dave sighed and shook his head. 'No. I haven't. I mean, I've caught a glimpse of him in passing in town. It's a small town. But I've been away from home for most of the summer, so . . .'

His parents had taken him to Tuscany. His father would rather have left him at home, but after the break-up, his mother had convinced him to take Dave with them. She had changed a lot in the past few months. And when Dave had told her about the break-up, she had hugged him and told him it was going to be all right. It was strange, but not unwelcome. His father had, of course, gloated at the news. Dave hadn't told either of them why it had happened, of course.

'I guess bumping into him will be inevitable once you're back home, eh?'

'Probably.' Dave rubbed his eyes. 'Alan told me he's got a job at Tesco now.'

'Summer job?'

'No.' He sighed. 'Apparently, he's not finishing his A-levels.'

Mellie frowned. 'What? Why?'

Dave shrugged. 'I dunno. Alan didn't say. But I guess with the music, going to uni or whatever might not be so important to him. Hey, can we talk about something else?'

'Yeah, of course! I'm sorry I brought it up.'

'No worries.' Dave sat down next to her, and they said nothing for a while. Then Dave said, 'I worry about him.'

'Yeah, me too.' Mellie took his hand and squeezed it. 'I miss him.'

'Yeah. Me too.'

* * *