Chapter Eight: Special K

Author's Note: I'm sorry this has taken so long. I was working on getting my book published and it took up all my energy. Getting it ready was immediately followed by depression, of course. If you're interested in reading my short story collection, you can find it as paperback: https://www.amazon.com/dp/168768409X for Kindle: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WWZ3X6V and for a bunch of other eReaders here: https://books2read.com/u/bpEwlE

CW: This chapter contains heavy drug and alcohol use and self-destructive behaviour.

———————— 

Nick was drunk, and he was high. He felt like the world was spinning around him, but that was okay because Adolescent Pushback were up on stage, playing awesome music, and Brian looked really hot with his bass. All Nick could think about was after, getting him home and into bed. In the meantime, he danced. People were watching him. He didn't care.

Afterwards, he sought out Brian by the stairs to the stage and gave him a big, wet kiss. 'That was amazing,' he slurred. 'You guys are so awesome!' He looked around at the other members of the band, grinning. 'I love you guys!'

'What's with the groupie?' said Cameron gruffly.

'Mate, that's the kid whose band warmed up for us at the Actress and Bishop back in March,' said Dom. 'You know, the one with the crazy awesome voice?'

Cameron squinted at Nick. 'Oh, yeah. You. You were pretty good.'

'Thank you!' Nick let go of Brian and kissed Cameron on the cheek. 'That's so nice!'

Dom laughed. 'You're barking up the wrong tree there, kiddo, Cameron's the straightest guy I've ever known.'

'Fuck off, Dom,' said Cameron.

'So, you guys wanna come to mine to party again?' said Ste, putting his vintage Stratocaster in its case. Normally, Nick would have fawned over that guitar, maybe even begged to be allowed to play it, but he was too drunk and horny to care.

'No,' he said decisively. 'I need Brian to take me home and fuck me stupid.'

Dom and Ste broke out in laughter, while Cameron rolled his eyes. Brian grinned. 'You heard the man. You guys have fun, though.' He turned to Nick and gave him a kiss. 'Just need to finish packing down, okay? Then I'm all yours.'

'I should . . . should I help?' Nick stumbled over his words a bit.

'Probably better if you just chill over here,' said Ste.

'Yeah,' said Brian, ruffling Nick's hair. 'I'll get you a drink, and you can just relax. Then I'll take you home, all right?'

Nick nodded. 'Okay.'

* * *

Sunday was spent in bed. Nick started the day with a shot of vodka, hair of the dog to combat the raging hangover he otherwise felt coming on. After a morning consisting almost entirely of sex, he sent a text to Matt.

Staying in Birmingham a couple more days, can't make rehearsal Tuesday. Sorry. x

Matt rang him a couple of hours later. 'You at Brian's?'

'Well, yeah. Where else would I be?'

'You sound drunk. Are you drunk?'

'So what if I am?' said Nick defensively. 'None of your business, anyway.'

There was a pause. Then Matt said, 'Nick, are you okay? This isn't like you.'

'What, having fun?'