Year 4 - Preparing for the Final Task

"So...the task is still quite a few months away...and you want to start preparing now?" Daphne questioned as all the Slytherin group gathered around in the common room listening to Hermione.

"Yes, that is correct."

"Why..."

"Look, we were told that the final task is going to challenge our knowledge, sprite, body, and possibly our soul. The tasks in the final task could be many things like creatures, spells, objects, anything we learned in the seven years of schooling...do you see the problem now..." Hermione folded her arms.

"Oh...I do suppose having three fewer years than the others could be a problem," Theo rubbed his face.

"Yeah, I know."

"Honestly Granger I don't know why you're worried about this. You are already smarter and more powerful than the older champions. I don't think you have to worry that much..." Draco tried to say but was stopped by Hermione's glare.

"I know you guys don't see the point, but I want to do this. I want to be prepared for anything. Do you honestly believe that Potter is going to prepare much, if at all? I'm not only dragging myself through this, but I also have another person, Potter." Hermione finished and the others groaned. Some even threw their heads back looking into the ceiling. 

"Okay...okay...I see your point now. So what do you need us to do?" Malfoy asked leaning back further into his chair.

With a sigh of relief, Hermione began, "Okay, well first I must be prepared and make sure I know as much as possible, so I'll read. You guys don't have to know everything, maybe pick something you want to do and learn about that and at any time during the day just throw it or shout it at me so I can make sure it's always in my brain. For example, Theo learns about curses and at any time during the day he throws a curse at me and I have to react or Daphne learns about some creature and shouts at me the name or the looks of a creature and I tell you what I would do to get past it or defeat it. So that way it's not a one-person job you each can have a lot of breaks."

The other Slytherin's thought it over and agreed. Malfoy spoke, "That's not a bad plan Granger...I suppose we could do that after all." 

Hermione smiled and soon the group was on their way for a small study group to ready Granger up for the final task.

Before the group noticed three months had passed and Hermione almost learned everything that was needed to the end of her schooling days. She blocked spells, she broke spells, she was knowledgeable, overall she was ready. 

Hermione couldn't help but think that she came a long way trying to find a balance of studying for regular classes, then the extra study for the task, and making sure she spends time with friends and doing her regular classwork.  At first, it was difficult, but it grew easier and she somewhat now enjoyed the Slytherin's company, though she still hung around Harry, Neville, Ginny, and Luna too.

Now she sat in the library again this time without her study group. They said that they couldn't do anything else really because they thought she was completely prepared even if it was still two months away. To Hermione, she thought as she sat there...it wasn't enough. The itch was there and now it was hitting her harder than ever. The certain section of the library was calling to her and it was getting harder to resist.

She sat there trying to ignore that itch as she continued studying a book she already read...then the one thought came to her, 'What if there is information in there I could learn to help me in the task?'

That thought wouldn't go away...it just sat there itching her brain. She couldn't take it anymore and closed the book she was reading and put it back on the shelf. She grabbed her bag and intended to leave, but something stopped her. She turned around again and looked to the back of the library. 

She wasn't thinking when she took out her wand and disillusioned herself, making her invisible to anyone. She then put some wards on herself to make sure alarms or anything wouldn't go off as she stalked back into the restricted section.

Once there she couldn't help, but feel pleased as she brushed her hand along the books, like a long time coming home. Without another thought, she chooses some of the books and put them in her bag before leaving the library, telling herself it's only for the task.  

She also wasn't thinking when she excitedly started reading in the common room when it was empty for now. She was absorbing everything the book offered from spells to potions, and everything. She didn't even notice when Daphne and Theo walked into the common room looking at what she was so absorbed in.

"Granger! Why on Earth are you reading that! That's a very dark book and you can only get that in the restricted section!" Daphne yelled annoying Hermione as she put in her mind where she stopped reading as she closed the book.

"Yes...it's a darker book...and it was in the restricted section..."

"What teacher did you get to approve of you getting it?"

"Oh...I didn't...I just took it... and a few others..." Hermione eyed her bag and looked at their surprised eyes, "What, I want to be prepared and these are the last I can learn and look at. Sure it might be considered "dark" but I want to be prepared. Besides, it's so interesting and people just don't understand how it can be helpful."

Theo looked at Daphne, "I suppose you can be prepared...but I think I'm not going to try out those spells..."

Hermione blinked, "I never excepted you to...I can learn this on my own. Oh, and I would appreciate it if you kept my little hobby a little secret for now...but if you do I wouldn't mind some practice on what I learned." 

Her eyes flashed at them a warning and they agreed and left the girl to her reading.

The two months were up in a flash and Hermoine was a little put out she didn't learn as much as she wanted to. The restricted section had a lot more books and they were heavier reads, so it was difficult to get through as much as she did, but she still wanted more...for the task of course...

Hermione was outside the Great Hall entrance waiting for Harry.

Once Harry appeared by her she spoke, "Well, Potter...I hope you ready..."

Harry smiled a pained smile, "ready as I'll ever be..."

The two walked down to the quidditch pitch where the final task was to take place. Already the stands were packed as the maze stood before everyone.

Taking a deep breath she spoke to Harry, "Let's hope this is done quickly."

Harry just nodded as he looked upon the large maze that stood before them.

"It really is about to begin," Harry spoke almost feeling sick.