Year 6 - Tom Riddle and Love Problems

"Hello, Harry."

"Professor Dumbledore...you sent for me?"

"I thought that now would be a good time for our next lesson. I'm sorry that it is so quick after what happened to your teammate yesterday." Dumbledore said as Harry slowly approached the man standing by the pensieve already.

"Sir..." Harry's voice quiet now trembling slightly, "What happened to Katie and how..."

"She's alive. Barely. Madam Pomfrey and Professor Snape did all they could here, unfortunately, we had to send her to St. Mungo's Hospital. All we've heard so far is that she is still in critical condition, but the doctors there are the best and are hopeful. Katie's parents promised to keep the school updated."

Harry sighed some in relief, but with some worry still. It was silent and finally, a question that has always been on Harry's mind came up.

"Sir...why are you always so hesitant with Hermione?"

Dumbledore was silent, "we should get started Harry, and worry about that later."

Harry nodded and dropped the subject once again and walked to where Dumbledore was by the pensieve. 

Both were quickly transported to a familiar place that Harry has been before except it looked better-taken care of, Borgin and Burkes. Burkes was talking to Merope who was heavily pregnant and seemed desperate. 

"Please... this locket is all I have can't you give me more?" Merope begged the man. I need some for food or even a place to stay.

"I'm sorry that you think this locket is worth much, 8 gold pieces is it's worth."

"PLEASE!"

"FINE! 10 Galleons final offer," Burkes said and held out his hand for the locket.

Merope sadly put the locket in his hand and took the ten galleons he put on the counter before walking out of the horrible store.

Once out of sight Burkes smirked widely, "what a foolish woman." Burkes looked at the locket in awe and quickly moved to put it away for later display.

The memories shifted once again this time it was one of Dumbledore's. He was younger and he approached the large door of an orphanage. It was raining while he waited once Dumbledore knocked to be let in. 

A young woman opened the door. Dumbledore smiled kindly and asked to speak with the house matron, Mrs. Cole. The woman nodded quickly and motioned for him to follow and led him to an office where the lady knocked. 

"Come in," Mrs. Cole said plainly and the young woman nodded leaving him to enter. Dumbledore entered the room and smiled at the middle-aged woman behind a desk filling out paperwork. 

"I'm sorry I got your letter a few days ago and I would have been the one to greet you at the door, but duties come first and one of the children is being seen to be adopted and paperwork can be a handful," Mrs. Cole explained.

"No need to explain I understand. I do hope not to take too much of your time."

"Okay, then why did you request to meet and enquired about Tom Riddle?" Mrs. Cole asked looking him in the eyes.

"You see I'm a teacher at the school that Tom has been accepted to."

"I don't remember Tom or any of us sending out school applications. We can't afford much now with the war going on and everything."

"No. You see he has been set to go here since before he was born and you don't need to worry about the money the school has funds set up for certain situations like this."