Day Zero in Ngaio Street

I still remember what we call day zero.  It was Monday. My parents where down stairs having breakfast and I could hear my little sister crying at the corridor to my grandma because she didn't want to go to school. Me... I was still in bed and it was the third time I turned the alarm clock off. In a summary it was a normal Monday.

I got out of bed looking like a zombie. Last night I went to sleep at 4:30am after sneaking out through the window to meet Allie at my backyard. We used to do that every Sunday just to talk for a while about how the week went or just to spend some time together as we didn't go to the same school. We could say she was my best friend, or my only friend at the time... She was a freak like I was, she was fucking good at music and had a dog, thing I always wanted to have but never had the opportunity cause my mum was allergic.

Thing is, I got out of bed with my black hair all messy and my eyes red as fuck. My only thoughts at the time was that something, anything, happened so that couldn't go to college and do my physics exam, and guess what... my wish came true. I didn't even got close to that exam.

Suddenly my sister stopped crying, it was at that moment that I realized she hasn't cried for a while that I knew something wasn't right. I opened my bedroom door and stepped into the corridor. Empty. I went to my sisters room. Nothing. I start worrying... where is everyone? Suddenly my dad ran up the stairs with a finger on his lips telling me to be quite. I frowned at him confused...

Is this a joke?

He slowly walked towards me, took hold of my arm, then jerked his head to signal me to follow.

He lead me into my grandmas room. The curtains were closed, the room was dark. Behind the closet was my family taking refuge with fear in their eyes. But why are they in there?  Dad pointed me to join them, I followed his instructions. He closed the door and locked us in. Everything went silent again. I could feel everyone breathing on each other. My dad got closer to the window and opened the curtain slightly to see our street then closed it again.

"They're still out there..." he whispered. He opened the closet we were behind of. He got inside, nocked the end wall until he heard it was hollow and searched for a little crack to open a door from where he silently got a rifle. Since when was that there? Confused as fuck I got up and walked to the window. My dad didn't have time to stop me from opening the curtain just enough for me to see all this random people walking like dogs all around my neighborhood. I remember seeing my physics teacher, he was smelling a container in front of Allies house.

What the fuck was happening?

I felt dads hand on my shoulder, which moved me away from the window, it being covered by the curtain again.

"What's going on?" For one second I thought I whispered to low as he didn't answer, then he looked at me angry and said "Just stay out of the way for now" and gave me a little push back to where my mum was extending her arms to catch me. I remember thinking that with 17 years old, seeing your mum calling you to come to her as if I was learning how to walk wasn't very normal at all. Despite that, I sat down next to her and she hugged us and little Lucy very tight. We had been in there for four hours, forty three minutes and eighteen seconds, when the door handle started to move.

661 words

Hello guys!

New story! Really different to the last one but I think it is an exciting change.

I made this fist chapter short and simple to start with and introduce our main character Harry.

Hope you guys like it!

I let you know from now that English isn't my first language and of any spelling mistakes I would love if you can let me know.

ENJOY!