Live at camp

So that was an introduction, welcome to nowadays...

"Alright." John gives me the bucket and prepares me the stool.

We had been here for a month already and today I have to milk the cows. John is the farmer in charge of taking them out of the farmyard to the fields and vice versa. He's thirty, he used to play rugby and dreamed with being part of the Old Blacks, he ended up being a cowboy.

"You need to be gentle with her, but pull without being shy." I look at him confused. "You need to press strong enough to get the milk out. Play with your fingers as if you were a calf, she needs to believe that you're one or she will try to hit you."

"Wait what? No one told me this is so complicated!" He rolls his eyes.

"Harry if my nine years old sister could do it, so can you." He sits me on the stool, puts me his cowboy hat and pats me on the back. "Good luck you're gonna be here for a while. You will have a lunch brake at 2:00pm until 3:00pm and you finish work at 6:30pm. I'll be with the pigs from 5:00am to 7:00am if u need me, then I probably be around the fields. See ya lata."

To much information in a couple of minutes but I nod and he walks out of the farmyard.

Sweet now it's me and forty cows alone for..  how many hours did he just said?

"Dam... I can do this." I look around me. Can I?

Uhh I wonder how Allie is going with the laundry.

She hates that work, she always complains when she gets back home. Thank God I don't have to do that.

The camp has twenty five houses. There is two families with kids the Kennedy family and the Grayson's. They're the two main families that started de camp, Section two.

If I didn't mentioned it before, the city is divided by sections or camps. There are three of them at the moment and gradually the government or other independent groups are decontaminating and reconstructing different parts in the city.

Although in my opinion they're wasting their time... it's clear, we're doomed.

Having little kids on the camp is cool though, it's weird to see them to be honest most kids get infected pretty fast...

You know.. easy to hunt.

So the Kennedy's were 3 kids plus the parents, Lily was four, Annie seven and Patricia ten. They always came to our cottage to spend some time with Allie.

The Grayson's are hilarious... the two twins Mark and Andy just started walking and don't stop running around the place with their two big siblings Sarah and Jacob also twins, they are turning 11 tomorrow.

I dunno why I'm thinking about them while milking the fucking cows, I guess is cause they were the main milk consumers... both Allie and I love milk but always have less bottles cause of them.

God how long is this gonna take?

————————————————————————

Lunch brake finally arrives! My hands are sore from milking half of the cows.

John suddenly comes in with a ham and cheese sandwich.

"How you doing?" I look at him and put my red sore hand up.

"Sore" he laughs at me and throws the sandwich at me.

"It a little will ya" he smiles and turns back to the fields.

Silence. I'm alone eating a sandwich so my mind goes back to tonight's nightmare... the feeling of loosing Allie. She is all I have left, I can't loose her too. The voice echoes in my head "where is she? What happened to her?"