II

Lucifer was walking along the sidewalk. They passed a preacher speaking to a crowd of people.

"Save your soul!" The preacher cried. "It's up to you! I ask you to repent! Repent your sins before it is too late! It is the end of times! The Devil walks among us!"

"Padre, you have no idea how right you are." Lucifer chuckled. "But there's no need to be angry about it. Enjoy the ride."

"Bless you," the man said, walking closer to Lucifer. "Have you seen the face of the Devil?"

"Oh, every morning in the mirror, pal."

"Exactly! He's in all of us! In our every moment of weakness. Look at this world! The sin, the lust! It is the Devil's touch."

"N-N-No, don't give me credit for all that. You humans do plenty on your own."

The microphone feedback squealed and the street preacher sighed. "What's your problem, pal?"

"Excuse me?"

"Yeah, uh, why don't you move your shtick along. Okay, I'm not sharing my tips with you, if that's what you're angling for."

"Oh. Right. Is this a performance? Are you like the Chewbacca and the Spider-Man down the street? I have to say, you're very good."

"Yeah, so why don't you go bother them. You're bad for my business."

"Repent! The Devil--

"Isn't finished with you yet. You see, what I hate more than anything is a liar, a charlatan, someone who doesn't believe in what they say."

"So what are you gonna do about it?"

"Why, make you a believer, of course."

Lucifer showed the street preacher flashes of his Devil face and the street preacher screamed. "S-S, uh, stay away! He's the Devil! You don't understand! This isn't a performance! He's the Devil! He's the Devil!" The crowd clamored. "It's true. It is true."

The crowd applauded and Lucifer chuckled. "Yes, thanks, everyone. I'm, uh, here till, well, the end of time, actually." He laughed.

Lucifer was in his therapy session with Dr. Linda.

"So you're the Devil," Linda said.

"Yes. Yes. Well, Satan, Beelzebub, Old Scratch. Actually, I like that one in particular. But, uh, those were the old me. These days, you just have plain old Lucifer."

"And you've left Hell behind to take a vacation in Los Angeles."

"Where else would I go? You don't seem too bothered by my being the Prince of Darkness."

"I'm willing to work within your metaphor."

"Right."

"Sometimes it's easier to make intimate issues about something bigger than yourself."

"Well, there are a few things bigger than myself. I'm well aware."

Linda chuckled and sighed. "Ah. Last we spoke, you were bothered about feelings of humanity."

"I was, yes, but I have good news for you on that front. I'm healed."

"Is that so?"

"Yes. Yes, back to my normal, devilish self. No pesky empathy to be found. I'd kick a puppy if one waltzed by. I'm joking. Puppies don't waltz."

"You like to hide insecurity in humor, don't you?"

Lucifer laughed. "I don't have insecurities."