XX

"Sloths move faster, Petey," an officer said. "Snails. The humble tortoise."

"You can't rush perfection," Petey replied.

"This is true. Hawaiian bread. Just the way you like it. And a little extra for that cop friend of yours."

The officer took the bread. "Thanks, Petey."

"No, thank you, Officer Decker."

Officer Decker handed Petey two tickets. "Before I forget, for you and Grace."

Petey looked at the tickets. "Hot Tub High School?"

"Opens Friday. My little monkey's gonna be a star."

"We wouldn't miss it."

"Do me a favor. I hear there's some funny business about 15 minutes in--"

"Oh, you mean that scene where--"

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. Let's not finish that thought. Just tell her it was a good movie."

"Kids these days."

"Yeah, I know. But, hey, I'm proud of her. Don't let go--You okay, Petey? Hey, listen--"

"Hand over the cash," the robber demanded, pointing a gun.

"Yes, don't shoot," Petey said.

"Come on."

"Here, here, here you go, don't shoot."

"Hurry up. Empty the whole thing. Come on, let's go, let's go."

The robber noticed Officer Decker and shot him several times, killing him.

The robber made his way to a house he'd been staking out for awhile. He kicked open the door to see Officer Kalea Iosua.

"Where are your valuables?" The robber demanded.

Kalea stood up, pointing her gun. "Who are you and how did you get in my house?"

The robber pulled out a knife and knocked Kalea's gun away. He stabbed her before she could do anything to defend herself.

He looked up to see a little girl, no more than nine or ten, staring at him with horror. He had no intention of killing the girl, so he left.

The girl knelt beside her mother. "Mommy?"

Kalea smiled weakly. "Do your best, Leilani. Always. Be kind."

She placed a hand to her daughter's cheek before falling still.

PRECINCT

Chloe was on the phone. "No, Warden, you listen to me. This man killed my father and my deputy's mother. He cannot be released."

"Detective! Deputy!" Lucifer called. "I have a bone to pick with you two."

"Not a good time, Lucifer."

"Agreed. It's a horrible time. Dr. Linda just canceled my session. She won't take my calls. I think I truly scared her off."

"Something happened with your shrink?" Lani asked.

"Yes, and it's all your fault. The both of yours. I mean, you're the ones who suggested I open up to her. Well, smashing advice, Detective, Deputy."

"We don't have time for this right now," Chloe said.

"What, do we have a case?"

"She and I are dealing with our own issues."

"Oh! Even better. Let's solve those, shall we?"