XXV

LUX - PENTHOUSE

Lucifer laughed as he picked Lani up. She wrapped her legs around his waist. "Oh, Deputy."

He sat with her still on top of him and asked, "Deputy, are you sure you want to do this?"

She kissed him. "Shut up."

Red horns appeared and Lucifer said, "I see you've found my love handles."

APARTMENT - LANI'S BEDROOM

Maze was sitting in the dark, in an armchair, munching on chips and asked, "How was it?"

Lani opened her eyes. "What are you doing in here?"

"What? Chloe and I heard you scream, so we ran in to see if you were in danger. Then we figured out what was really going on, you know, so Chloe left and I stayed to watch the show. Hey. What was that--That thing you were doing?" She pretended to hold onto horns. "You were like--"

"Okay, Maze, get out. Now."

"All right, at least you're getting laid in your dreams. 'Cause it's not happening in real life."

"It's my choice. Besides; you don't know that."

"I just wish you'd loosen up, Iosua. Goes for you too, Decker! You know, throw caution to the wind, be impulsive, just once. Instead of, you know, being you."

LINDA'S OFFICE

"Maybe this time will be different," Linda said.

"This time will definitely be different," Lucifer replied. "I've decided to take things slow, for once."

"Hmm, and why is that?"

"Because I'm a responsible Devil. And I well, I know what a big deal the kiss was for the deputy."

"For her?"

"Well, I'm sure it must have made quite an impact on her. I mean, it is me. No doubt she's overwhelmed by emotions she's never felt before."

"She's overwhelmed?"

"Mm."

"Uh-huh. Is that why you went your separate ways after the kiss?"

"Precisely. Yes, although, she did have that wretched dependent waiting for her at home. Well, three, if you count the children."

"I think I know what's happening."

"Y-You do?"

"You're stalling, Lucifer."

Lucifer laughed. "Stalling? Sex? Me? Doctor, have we even met before?"

"You're stalling because you've realized how complicated your relationship is."

"Look," he sighed, "the, um, the truth is that I still don't understand why, after everything I said about my less positive qualities, she still chose to kiss me. I mean, do you think she's ill?"

"Or maybe she's just taken by you?"

"Well, that's impossible. Both the deputy and the detective are completely immune to my charms. Or she [the deputy] was immune. Maybe that's what changed. Of course, I mean, why else would she kiss me?"

"But there's also the possibility--"

"No, no, no. No. That's very good. Thank you, Doctor. I know what to do now."

CRIME SCENE

"Morning," Lucifer greeted.

Lani smiled. "Hey. So, how was the rest of your night?"