XV

Lucifer's mom explained her journey to find Lucifer. "And that's when I started looking for you, son. At least I've managed to keep this flesh sack in one piece. It has not been easy. Quite a few of the male species have been eyeing me hungrily. Do humans eat their own? Well, say something. Aren't you glad to see me? I apologize for my human form, but at least this one has supreme hindquarters."

"You're lying," Lucifer said.

"No. They're quite sturdy. Feel it." She bent her butt closer to a seated Lucifer.

Lucifer held a hand slightly in front of him. "I wasn't referring, nor will I ever refer, to your butt, Mother. I simply don't believe your wounded bird story. You're the goddess of all creation."

"Not anymore, unfortunately. Now I'm just trapped in this stinky human with the exceptional ass. I swear, all I've done for three days is wander this cesspool, asking these vacuous cretins how to find you."

He held up his hands in prayer.

"What are you doing?" His mom asked.

"Calling Amenadiel," Lucifer replied.

"Oh! Wonderful. He's here, too?"

"Yes. And he'll be the one taking you back to Hell, so--"

"What?! Why?"

"Because you're dangerous and terrifying."

"I promise you I'm not here to hurt anyone. You have to believe me. My entire focus has been on finding you, son."

"So you can eviscerate me? Got it. No."

"We've wasted enough time being estranged. I'd do anything to rectify that now. Sure you don't mean "revenge that"?"

"Lucifer, your father put me in Hell. Not you."

"I know that. Yes. But I was your warden. Not by choice."

"We were both wronged. But you could have at least visited me."

"Oh, I'm sorry. When Dad cast me out, who stood by and did nothing? Hint: it's a palindrome for "mum". "

"Well, maybe if you talked to me in Hell instead of sending your little demon torturer, I could've explained the whole thing."

"You're right, you're right. But I'm here now, so by all means, explain."

"You wouldn't believe me. I know how suspicious and untrusting you are."

"You don't know anything about me."

"Lucifer. I'm your mother."

"Not for a very, very long time."

"Well, I want to be now."

"Then I'm going to need you to prove your little origin story to me."

"We'll retrace your steps. If I don't find a trail of bloodshed and carnage, then perhaps I'll believe you."

"Fine."

"Hmm. Gonna need to get you some clean clothes. Humans tend to frown at the sight of blood."

"Yes. I've noticed. Uh, just leave it, would you?"

HOTEL ROOM

"Gosh, perhaps we shouldn't have borrowed from Maze," Lucifer said. "Her clothing is insufficient."

"Yes," she replied, walking out in a tight black dress and heels. "Half my hide is exposed. Human attire is very impractical. They're morons, aren't they?"

"Oh. So you admit your revile them?"

"To revile them would be to care about them, which I do not."