XXVIII

LUX - PENTHOUSE

"Azrael's Blade," Amenadiel said. "You're sure?"

"I am," Goddess replied. "So if we could just get your brother to stop drinking and show us where he hid it--"

"I just wanted you to tell him what you told me before I make a mess," Lucifer told her.

"What mess are you going to--" she cut herself off, seeing Lucifer pull the blade from a crevice. "That's where it's been this whole time?"

"Put it somewhere I could keep an eye on it. Wouldn't want someone to incite another stabbing rampage, now, would we?"

"Well, it's not my fault humans can't handle the divine. Besides, if I hadn't done that, we wouldn't have found out what that blade actually is."

"And you really think that this is the Flaming Sword? I thought Father destroyed it during my rebellion so I wouldn't use it against Him."

"Father said he destroyed it," Amenadiel said. "Apparently he just hid it in plain sight."

Lucifer studied the sword. "But it's so small and so not flaming."

"That's because only you, my Lightbringer, can ignite it," Goddess told him.

"Well, what am I supposed to do, dip it in some whiskey and light a match?"

"Last time it caught flame, you were angry, so think about your Father, that should do it."

"All right." He cleared his throat and exhaled, straining as he tried to light the sword.

"No!"

"Right, back to my whiskey plan."

"No, you're much too calm. When it flamed before, you were furious?"

"So you're saying the blade can sense my emotional state?"

"It's the most powerful weapon in the universe,--"

"Mum--The sword that guarded Eden is not a groovy mood ring."

"Maybe I should try it," Amenadiel offered.

"Your brother is the Lightbringer, Amenadiel," Goddess said. "He just needs to apply himself and get angry!"

"Well, I can't just get ang--Aah! Bloody hell!" Lucifer cried.

"Well, it was worth a shot."

"Right. Maybe Amenadiel should try it. Here, why don't you hold it, and I'll kick you in the--"

"Boys! We need to work together on this. We're so close now."

"Are we, Mom?" Amenadiel asked. "Because our return home hinges on Lucifer being able to control his emotions."

"Oh, you've no faith in me, brother?" Lucifer questioned. "Good. Means I get to prove you wrong."

LINDA'S OFFICE

Linda scoffed. "So the three of you plan to use this Flaming Sword to cut through the Gates of Heaven and go home?"

"That's the plan, yes," Lucifer confirmed.

"Do you mean actual gates? Like big and pearly? Are we talking clouds? Harps? Old dudes in white robes?"

"And my dad is Morgan Freeman? Focus, Doctor. Now, come on. I need you to help me control my emotions."

"Well, emotions can't be controlled, Lucifer."

"What? Isn't that your entire job?"

"My job is to help you understand your emotions. I can help you become aware of what it is you're feeling, or trying to avoid feeling."