XXXI

Goddess stapled her belly. "Hello? It's Charlotte Richards. I need a favor."

LUX - PENTHOUSE

Amenadiel grinned. "Would you look at that, Luci? It really is the final piece. Unbelievable."

"Oh, no, I believe it," Lucifer replied. "It's classic Dad. Hanging the final piece of the Flaming Sword right under our noses... Well... Your nose, this entire time... I know, right? It's ridiculous. I mean, if that isn't the biggest celestial bird Dad's ever flipped."

"What are you talking about? This means that I'm the favorite son."

"Uh, no, it means that once again Dad is manipulating us six ways to Sunday. But, hey, what's new? At least we have it now. So... Well, hand it over, Brother. The sword's not gonna ignite itself. It... Oh, just give it to me. Give it to me. Right, don't be silly, Brother. You know I'm ten times stronger than you."

"But I'm the favorite."

"Oh, right. Of course. That one... Right, don't make me hurt you. Remember, you're not the angel you once were."

"No, Luci, you're right, I'm not."

"Well, oh. I didn't mean to make you all broody again."

"No, it's okay. I just need a little time to process what it all means."

"Process? Okay. Fine. Suppose we're in no real rush. Process away... I think I've got E.T. on the DVR if you need a good weep and a pint of Haagen-Daz in the freezer if that helps."

LINDA'S OFFICE

Linda entered in her office to see Goddess sitting, waiting for her. "You scared me. God!"

"Goddess. But whatever. I need medical attention," Goddess said. "I'm wounded."

"Then go to a hospital."

"This isn't exactly a human injury, and since you know who, or rather what I am, I would appreciate it if you would just patch me up."

"Why does everybody keep doing this to me? I am a doctor, but patching people up isn't my thing."

"Oh... It is now."

"Suppose I could take a gander."

"Wonderful... I should warn you, you might have to..." she opened her dress and her light burned the wall as Linda barely managed to evade the blast of light. "Duck."

"What?! Who did that to you? I mean, was it Lucifer? I-I mean... Not on purpose, you know. Accidentally, like with that Flaming Sword thingy... All right, let me see what I got here... Okay, duct tape." She held up a roll and pulled a strand, readying to rip it. "Trust me. This stuff's amazing."

STREET

Lucifer was checking his phone. "This is ridiculous. You have experience with emotionally fragile men, don't you?"

"You're self-aware today," Chloe replied.

"No, I meant Dan. Anyway, tell me, how do you stop them from overthinking everything?"

"Who's overthinking?"

"Amenadiel. Leave it to him to turn a compliment into something to angst over. I mean, he should be happy he's Dad's favorite."

Lani looked up at him. "Wait, your dad didn't actually tell you guys that, did he?"

"Well, in so many Sumerian words, yes."

"You know, the more Chloe and I hear about your dad, the more we understand why you're... You know, you."

CRIME SCENE