D23-Detectives AU

Inspired by CASTLE

Adrien couldn't stand their new consultant: Damian Wayne.

He was intruding on their investigation, but more importantly, his time with Marinette Dupain-Cheng.

Adrien could still remember their first case together: the illustrious 'Hawkmoth'. A big time dealer who was getting his merch out to high school kids. Majority of their class has fallen victim to the drug. Even children had been effected.

It was a big deal back then and no one knew how anyone came in contact with it, but usually a purple butterfly oragami piece was found on the victim.

Soon, the news dubbed the drug as 'Akuma', for when people fell into demonic rage. Many people they knew still suffered withdrawal from the drug. Usually it was the ones who had come in contact with it several times. It hurt to see the people they cared about lose themselves and try attacking others. When the feeling was gone, the victim had no memory of what they had done.

Needless to say, he was shocked to see Marinette at police academy. She was still the cute bumbling mess around him, but she flew with the grace and agility of a small bug. She was dubbed the academy's 'Ladybug'. While he was quick and agile, he had grated on some people's nerves and was dubbed the 'Black Cat'.

Some people would avoid him or even joked along with him, falling to the floor when he, 'the black cat', crossed their path. Marinette had given him a necklace of a four leaf clover in resin and told him it was to cancel out his bad luck. He had smiled at the gift, but when she had kissed his cheek, he swore his heart had never felt lighter. She had played along with his affinity for bad luck and whispered in his ear, 'For extra luck'.

It wasn't until years later that he realized, that was the moment he fallen in love with her.

Sure they had known each other for years, but he had never seen her in that light before then. Marinette was the cute class president in his class. She would trip and flutter about nervously. She reminded him of some of the anime heroines he would watch. In police academy, she transformed before his eyes. She was in her element; she was where she was meant to be.

They became partners. Everyone joked how they were put together simply to cancel out his 'bad luck', but they made it work. Marinette was the leader and he was the distraction, if need be. She made sure the paperwork was done and he made sure to fuel her coffee sup and bring take-out.

So, why was this guy ruining their partnership?

Damian Wayne was on the top 10 of most eligible bachelor. He was known for his looks and money.

So, what if he gave that life up?

He never wanted to be connected to the name Agreste after he arrested 'Hawkmoth'. His father pleaded him to see reason, but there was none. At least, not in his eyes. He went and changed his name to Adrien Noir. He sold everything. His family home. His father's company.

He bought a small flat and got a black cat to remind himself to never look back. Plagg was a good companion, even if he had an affinity for cheese.

So what if Damian's father use to be a world class detective. Damian wasn't his father and neither was he! Damian Wayne was just a murder mystery novelist! What did he have that this guy didn't? Money? Marinette wasn't that shallow.

Adrien arrived at his usual time to see Marinette already with a coffee in hand, speaking with Wayne about the case. He looked at the coffee in his hand and set it on her desk.