01: They think I'm strange

|01: They think I'm strange|

They thought I was strange.

Kids thought I was strange because I couldn't hear a simple conversation. They thought it was strange to see me use my hands to communicate. They thought it was strange for me to go to speech therapy when I should already know how to do all those things.

They bullied me and I sat there, taking all the teases and insults. All the hits and kicks.

People tend to forget that anybody can be struggling... I know I was.

My mom was rarely ever home, she always worked. My dad wasn't apart of my life, he left when I was a baby. Whenever my mom was 'home', she'd go out and party with her friends all night long. Then she'd come home, drunk out of her mind.

Sometimes she wouldn't come back at all.

So I was left alone, crying about the days events. Crying because I felt like an outcast. Crying because I felt like I had no one who understood. Crying because I knew there was so many people going through something similar... and that they too felt alone.

So I made a promise to myself.

I promised myself to always treat people with kindness. Never put anyone down, lift them up instead. Even if someone is unkind, be kind to them. They could use a little kindness themselves.

I promised to treat people the way I wish I had been treated.

But that was me when I was thirteen.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still teased and picked on. Just not as much because I limit who I spend time with, and where it's at.

Even with all the bullies I've deal with, I still hold that promise close to heart.

I just learned to be even more kind to the next person I come across.

Take all the negative energy and transform it into something positive, even if it's the most hardest thing to do. It's worth it in the end.

That's why I started the E.W. Club.

It's a place where everybody's welcomed. Creative, I know. It's a place for anyone to join and feel safe enough to talk about things they would never think about opening up about. And even if they don't feel like sharing, that's perfectly fine.

They don't even have to be a member just to come talk. It's open for any one.

Surprisingly, I've been one of the club members who's stayed the longest. I started this group when I was a freshman, and it's been running ever since then. Every day during lunch, and every day (except Wednesdays) after school if people need it.

Back then it was only me, my now best friend Toryn, and a couple of seniors. Those seniors are the reason I was even able get to start the club. I wasn't sure if the school would allow a club that opens every day of the week.

But those seniors did, and I was so happy.

They made me feel hopeful, and I'll forever be grateful that they helped me.

I didn't think it would last long because the club was for those who felt left out, those who would consider themselves an... outcast. Like I had once myself.

I made this club so that they don't have to feel that way. So that they know they really aren't the only ones alone. So that I can help people learn that they can afford being kind.

And we give out freshly baked goods every day so... that's a bonus.

It's the second month into my final year at Panther High, and so far, I've been surviving. The weather has been kicking my ass though.