04: On a scale of one to ten, how much do you trust me?

|04: On a scale of one to ten, how much do you trust me?|

I think he is angry.

"So... I plug whatever 'y' is into this over here... to find 'x'?" Nemo repeats my statement in disbelief, "That makes no sense!"

"Well... so... uh..." I shift in my seat, the pencil in my hand hovering above the paper that sits in front of Nemo.

My hands were getting restless as I haven't been signing for at least an hour, and I needed to keep them preoccupied. Nemo seems really focused right now, so I'd rather not distract him.

I was leaning quite close to him, and all I could smell was a black cherry scent. I'd be lying if I didn't say my nose was enjoying it.

His bare arms were centimeters away from grazing against my hands. If I really wanted to, I could basically touch his arm with my pinky. But for the sake of my heart and his personal boundaries, I carefully moved my hand away a little bit.

"This equation with 'y' needs to be simplified so that basically 'y' is isolated. Or in easier terms, 'y' needs to be alone on one side,"

"Then once you have the new equation, you would plug it into the 'y' that's in this equation," I continue to explain, "Then you'll solve and find your 'x',"

"Okay... that's sounds easier now... I'll have this problem done in a minute," he says with slight hope in his voice.

"...that's only step one,"

Nemo's hands suddenly fly up to his face and the pencil he was holding goes flying across the table. I jerk entire body away from him to prevent any thing from going wrong.

He is definitely angry.

"What even is math," Nemo says calmly instead of yelling, surprisingly, "It's like... why do I even try at this point,"

Trying to calm myself from the jumpscare and my racing heart, I rub my arms, "Math... math isn't for... for everyone,"

"Oh great, now you're doing it again," he groans while turning his full body to look at me. This caused my eyes to open up even further.

Huh?

"Doing... doing what?" I ask and he jabs his pointer finger in my direction.

"That! You say a word, then you pause for like two seconds before finishing your sentence," he says and runs a hand through his hair, "Like what's up with that?"

I couldn't answer because I was too stunned.

Toryn, who's known me for years, barely pays close attention to any of that. I could be having a heart attack and he would start shaking my hand.

"I'm sorry..." I apologize, "It's... a habit,"

Nemo's eyes narrow, "Why aren't you doing your hand thing? You were doing it with Tortilla earlier,"

I frown, "Tortilla?"

"Your friend," he says while waving me off, "That wasn't my question. What's the deal?"

"I... I don't want you distracted from... from your work, which is exactly what is happening," I state while standing up to retrieve his pencil.

As I bend down to grab it, I hear him scoff.

"Am I not worthy enough of your language?" he continues to spit questions at me.

"Excuse me, Nemo. I never implied that," I snap back politely while standing up, "It's a little hurtful towards me when you say things like that..."