26: Eventually

|26: Eventually|

It was like dominos.

Nemo stumbles back, stepping on my feet which only causes me to trip up, ultimately knocking Toryn down. Nemo lands on me and I land on Toryn. We all land with a loud thud.

"You stupid fucking-" Kevin curses as he lands another punch onto the already dazed Nemo, knocking him back onto the ground. The cafeteria instantly fills with screams, shouts and cheers. Some chanting 'Fight! Fight! Fight!'

"Kevin, stop!" I scream in fear, scrambling out from underneath Nemo. Kevin climbs on Nemo, striking him again. Nemo's head flings back as he struggles to keep up with the multiple punches. Each punch sounds like a bone crack, making me feel sick to my stomach.

I watch in terror as Nemo tries shielding himself with his arms. Kevin just lands punch after punch, hitting every area on Nemo.

Why isn't he fighting back?

Kevin spits on Nemo, grabbing a ball of his shirt and raising the limp Nemo, "You're gonna pay, you stupid-"

"Stop it!" I yell as I jump up, staggering as I run over to Kevin and Nemo. Without thinking I place my hands on Kevin's chest, using all of my strength to shove him off of Nemo.

"Are you crazy?!" I shout at Kevin as he stares up at me, his face holding a mixture of shock. 

Kevin bolts up, still fuming with anger, "Get the hell out of my way,"

I plant my feet, narrowing my eyes into slits. A rare feeling is building up inside of me, turning my fear into... anger.

Noticing my protective stance over Nemo, Kevin lets out a dry and booming laugh, "Are you serious?! Don't think just because you're a girl I won't hit you too,"

"Says a lot about you now doesn't it," I snap back, clenching my shaking hands into balls of fists. They tremble crazily, exposing the fact that I'm terrified.

Kevin cocks his head to the side, "Guess I'll have to teach you a lesson as well,"

"Then I'll take that lesson," I state shakily and shut my eyes, "... you aren't going to hurt him because he hasn't done anything to you,"

Nemo doesn't deserve any of this...

And if I have to take the risk of getting hurt in order for Nemo to stay safe... then that's a risk I'm willing to take.

I've dedicated practically my entire life to make sure people feel safe. To make sure they never have to go through the pain I've had to deal with before.

If that means going through that pain all over again for them, then so be it.

... I care about Nemo more than I care about myself.

I flutter open my eyes only to see Kevin getting closer. I continue to stand, holding my head high and waiting for the impact to come.

Something suddenly brushes against my shoulder, and I realize that Toryn is running past me.

"YEEHAW MOTHERFUCKER!" Toryn suddenly shouts before literally launching himself into Kevin, both of them flying off onto the ground with a loud thud. 

Kevin slides across the floor as Toryn jumps, pumping his fists into the air.

"SUCK MY ASS YOU PIECE OF CHEWING GUM!" Toryn screams with joy, his screaming being joined by the cheers from multiple kids.

More kids rush down from upstairs, still screaming their heads off. The beating of my heart feels like it's going one hundred miles per second. I unclench my fists, a huge wave of relief washing over and chilling my body.