7.0

Title: “The One With The Selfie That Started Everything.”

Scene 12: Exterior / Leo Carrillo Beach / Day

Louis finishes setting up a blanket on the sand; he takes a book out from his backpack and sits by himself to do some reading. The beach is not so crowded but everyone else is with someone. He gets reflective while he watches a group of friends just a few steps away from him and then his phone rings.

LOUIS: (smiling) “There he is.” (answers the call) “Nialler?”

BEN: “Nialler?”

LOUIS: “Oh, sorry. I just thought… never mind.”

BEN: “Who’s Nialler?”

LOUIS: (frowning) “A friend?”

BEN: “A day in California and you have replaced me already?”

LOUIS: “Replace you? There’s nothing to replace.”

BEN: “Grumpy, huh?”

LOUIS: “Not so much. I’m just confused. Why are you calling?”

BEN: “I don’t know. I miss you. I wanted to check on you.”

LOUIS: (sighing) “This is not right, Ben. I told you. This is not who we are going to be.”

BEN: “I know but I just wanted to know if you got there safe since you never replied to my text.”

LOUIS: (scratching his forehead, obviously annoyed) “Right.”

BEN: “All good then?”

LOUIS: “Yup.”

BEN: “Are you at the beach? I think I can hear the waves.”

LOUIS: “I am.”

BEN: “Bastard. I wish I could be there.”

LOUIS: “Ben, seriously. It’s all good, believe me. It’s been nice meeting you and everything but this can’t happen anymore, okay? I already told you the last time you called me.”

BEN: “I know. I’m sorry. I won’t be bothering you again, don’t worry.”

LOUIS: “Listen, I hate to be this dismissive but I already explained what the thing is. It’s not about you at all.”

BEN: “I know, I know. Just take care, okay?”

LOUIS: “You too.”

BEN: “Enjoy summer. I guess I’ll be seeing you when you get back to New Haven, right?”

LOUIS: “Probably, yes. Have a nice one, okay?”

BEN: “I’ll try.” (laughs and gets serious again) “Just call me if anything comes up, yeah?”

LOUIS: “Goodbye, mate.”

After dismissing the call, Louis drops himself on the sand; he looks affected but relieved to be off the hook with Ben. He sits right up and starts fanning himself with his hands but it doesn’t work so he starts doing the same with his book instead. He is still sweating and he doesn’t seem to take it anymore. He looks around to see if someone is staring at him, he then hesitates for a while but ends up losing his shirt. He looks ashamed and insecure but he is definitely starting to feel better now.