Magic is scarce

"Pain."

She staggers to stand up but her eyes refuse to open.

"Forgive me, Mother. But I can't stay with you anymore."

Magi look at the angry voice and their eyes met.
The man was taken aback when the child who refuse to let him go but kicked by him just stand there looking at him.

"You are big now,Kai. You take care of your grandma." He said and left.

"Jonathan....Jona..than....You...You unfilial son...wuuu....wuuu...."

The grandma he was talking about was that woman that has a tanned skin from too much exposure in the sun and almost skin and bones.

The old woman glance at the quiet child and urge her to come forward.

"Come here, Kai. Do not worry dear. I am sure your father is just joking. He already sold your siblings. I fight him so he won't be able to sell you too. He said he will buy them back after he win in gambling. But after he won he decided to leave us. How are we going to take your siblings back? How are we going to eat? Grandma is useless."

Magi blinks her eyes.
She is a high rank magician.
Why did she become a small child suddenly?
This is not funny.
The house is shabbier than a stable in her past life.

"Grandma,"

The old woman eyes shone.
"You talk! Kai, you talk."

It seems she was a mute. The original one is a mute.
How pitiful is her life?
And the one that took her life is non less than her own old man.
Too much stimulus in one day?
This kind of drama is too much.
She was an orphan in her past life but she believes that she lived better than this life.
At least no unfair and selfish father to sell your own children.

The old woman coughs blood.
She looks like she haven't eaten anything in a while. She wanted to cook but there is no food or firewood.

The old woman has fallen asleep.
She went outside.
A woman who is carrying a basket of food pass by her.
She smells the aroma and just look at her.
The woman looks so scared and run away.

She frowned.
"I am not a thief right? If this original body is a thief then I can understand since her way of living was too bad but that is not going to be good for me." She sigh.
Or maybe not.
If she is a thief then it is a matter of being killed or sold if find guilty.

"She run because I look at her carrying a basket of food?" The high rank magician that hailed by people can't help but laugh and cry.
This is really the most shabbiest life she could ever have.
But even someone like her with the strenght feared by many will have to die someday.
What they feared is death, loneliness and hunger. Because what ever and how much magic they have they can't help escape those three things.

She finally reach the foot of the mountain.
A teenager boy saw her.
He knows this little imp.

"Kai, do you want me to go with you?"

"No need."

She can't let him join her.

She walks ahead.
The astonished kid followed her.
She can only clicked her tongue.

"You can talk now?"

"If not. Then do you think your hallucinating?"

"Oh."

The teenager is a hunter. His name is Griffin. He is well respected by the children in their village.

"You think...Damon is okay?"

She pauses.
She use a little bit of her magic to retold the memory in the house.
Damon is her responsible oldest brother who is thin and look kind. He is doing all the job in the house with a smile in his face. But sold by his father in a rice milling shop. He is the first one to be sold.

"I am sorry. I shouldn't have bring that up."

She looks at him.
"You came here to chat or to hunt? What kind of animals can you kill by that flimpsy arrow?" She raised a brow.

"I am very skilled. I can kill small animals and just recently I killed a small wild piglet."

"Good. I will make a deal with you. I know where wild piglets can be found. You share the bounty half half."

"Okay.But, when did you learn how to talk?"

"Less talk." She glares at him.
He look useful but his chattering irritates her. She never likes kids.
The orphanage made her hates them. Children are selfish creatures who only knows their own desires.
She can never like those kind of 'things'.
And they are noisy. Very noisy.
Magician cast their spells in precision.
One wrong word may end up destroying the whole spell so noisiness is their worse enemy.

After a lot of twist and turn, the two reach a valley. There is a wide water source and alot of animals are playing lazily.

"So many!" Griffin said excitedly.

"Shh." She glares at him.

"But after I shot one down. They will run away. Maybe we should lay a trap first today. Tomorrow will be good catch."

That is reasonable.
But Magi's situation is urgent.

She pauses for a while and feel her body.
She can only use too little magic.

"It's fine. Do not target the larger ones. Just target the young ones." She said and with a simple magic she restrict the wild piglets movement.

"Okay. But you can't blame me if they escape." He said and use his arrow to shot the unmoving piglets.
"Strike!" The other animals run away.
But strangely the piglets remain unmoving.

"What is happening?" Griffin knits his brows.

"Shut up and shoot them. Do you wish for them to scatter?"
She angrily said and urge him.

Though he is full of questions, she is right.
He stops questioning and use his arrows to shoot the unmoving piglets.
He is the one who got tired. Even though he missed they won't run around.

"Stop. This much is too much for us to carry." After her words the piglets run away.

Griffin blinks and suspiciously look at Kai.

"How did you order them to stop?"

"When did I order them to stop?"

"But--but--"

"That's just your lucky day. Let's collect our bounty."

"Uh--"

The small girl who is always looking down and cowering like a scared little chicken is now looking up like everyone is beneath her.

"What are you looking at? Hurry."

"Oh!"

A/N:

I am so frustrated so I made a new story. Lolololols Covidddddddddddd stoooooooooppppppp!
Urgh