nine

He's gonna find me. Jeongguk sat up in a cold sweat for what felt like the hundredth time that week, tears streaming down his face steadily. He'd been tossing and turning for the past few hours, trying to shake his fears off. The doctor expected him to have nightmares, so he prescribed a heavy duty sleep medication and therapy, which Taehyung was working on setting up. But even after taking the medicine, Jeongguk felt restless. What if Kyong did find him? Was he just going to hurt him again? Jeongguk's bottom lip quivered just thinking about Kyong. He recalled the simpler times, where Kyong would shower Jeongguk in love and affection, being the perfect man for him. Jeongguk would be lying if he said he didn't miss those times.

He wanted the old Kyong back. The one that would stay up on the phone with him all night. The one that would take him on cute dates and spoil Jeongguk rotten. The one that all of his friends drooled over. The one that made him feel secure. Jeongguk bit his lip, not wanting to cry too loudly for Taehyung's sake. His heart ached just thinking about how sweet Kyong used to be. But what changed? Jeongguk always assumed that it was his fault-- that he drove Kyong mad. He waited around for one long year, hoping that one day Kyong would give in and apologize for treating Jeongguk so cruelly. He wanted that same love from before. That day never came, but Jeongguk stayed loyal and prayed every night that the next day would be better. That Kyong would be better. Tears trickled down into his lap, leaving wet marks on his joggers. He needed someone to alleviate the pain in his heart. Someone to make him feel safe. His mind wandered to the sleeping Taehyung in the next room. He considered waking him up and telling him about his childish nightmares, but he didn't want to bother him. So, he lied back down, desperately trying to fall asleep.

About an hour later, he sat up, his breathing unsteady with fresh tears running down his face. It was no use. He reluctantly stood up from the seemingly cold bed and walked across the hall to Taehyung's room. His hand hovered above the door knob before he took a deep breath and turned it, cracking the door open just a little. Taehyung was sitting in his bed, a single lamp on near his head as he sketched away in his journal. He looked over to the door, not really being able to see Jeongguk's face in the dark. "Jeongguk?" he called out, his voice raspy from lack of sleep. Jeongguk opened the door a little wider, peeking his head into the room. "Come here," Taehyung mumbled. Jeongguk shuffled in, closing the door behind him. He sat down next to Taehyung, looking over his shoulder to see what he was drawing.

It was only a rough sketch of a face, not recognizable yet since he'd only started a couple minutes before Jeongguk entered the room. He closed the journal and propped his head up with his hand. "What's up?" he asked. Now that Jeongguk was in the light of the lamp, Taehyung could see his tear stained face and swollen eyes. "Talk to me baby," he whispered as he ran his slender fingers through Jeongguk's hair. Jeongguk almost started crying again just because of Taehyung's comforting actions. "I-I can't sleep," Jeongguk managed to squeak out, his voice cracking. "What's on your mind?" Taehyung asked softly. Jeonguk pursed his lips. "K-Kyong." Just saying his name hurt his fragile heart.

"I-I keep having nightmares and I d-don't want him to find me. I-I'm scared that he w-will and I'll have to go back to the a-apartment." Taehyung gazed at the disheveled boy that laid before him. He brought his hand down to Jeongguk's face and cupped his cheek gently. "I can promise you that Kyong isn't gonna find you sweetie. You're safe here and I'm here to protect you," Taehyung explained, a sympathetic smile on his face. He knew that what he was saying was cheesy and extreme, but he couldn't help it. It was probably due to his lack of sleep, yet what he was saying was completely true. He would never let Kyong come anywhere near Jeongguk ever again. Taehyung had grown protective over Jeongguk and wanted him to be safe.

"D-Do you really mean that?" Jeongguk stuttered out. Taehyung nodded and stroked his cheek with the pad of his thumb. "Of course. I wouldn't let him even come close to you baby." Jeongguk's cheeks turned a soft shade of pink. Taehyung pressed Jeongguk's head into his chest, wanting to calm the small boy down. "You can sleep here if you want, I don't mind," Taehyung offered. Jeongguk didn't want to be a burden, but his eyelids were already becoming heavy. It was true; Jeongguk felt safe in Taehyung's arms. It was so weird for him to admit, but he couldn't imagine anyone else making him feel as secure as Taehyung did.

Taehyung ran his fingers through Jeongguk's hair again, waiting for his soft cries to turn into snores. He turned the lamp off and stared at the ceiling blankly. Taehyung tried to find a happy place for his mind to go, but it kept wandering back to the devastatingly sad look on Jeongguk's face. He didn't like seeing him so upset. He just wished he could take all of his pain away and see Jeongguk's beautiful smile always. A sigh escaped his chapped lips as he let his eyes flutter closed. He wrapped his arms around Jeongguk's tiny waist and nuzzled into his soft hair, falling asleep almost immediately.