twelve

"I miss him..." he spoke in barely a whisper. Taehyung grimaced, knowing exactly who he was talking about. It was understandable to miss Kyong; he was Jeongguk's lover, afterall. Despite this, Taehyung still hated him. Just hearing his name made his blood boil. He had Jeongguk's heart to himself and he chose to crush it. It was a sin in Taehyung's eyes. Unforgivable. But of course, Taehyung couldn't say this to Jeongguk. Even though Kyong had ruined Jeongguk, the boy still loved him dearly. He was his first love.

So, Taehyung hugged Jeongguk closer and let him get all of the sadness out of his system. He'd cried so much because of Kyong that he couldn't anymore. Instead, he laid there, blankness in his once doe-like eyes. Taehyung didn't like seeing him so miserable, but it wasn't something he could help. All he could do was hold him and hope he'd come back down to earth soon. He hummed a soothing tune softly as he rubbed small circles into his back. Jeongguk melted under Taehyung's warmth. Everything about him was oh so comforting. He could feel their souls intertwine as if they'd been waiting to finally meet.

He smiled sadly, remembering when Kyong used to make him feel this way. He used to protect Jeongguk and make him feel like the prettiest boy in the world, but all of that slipped away when Kyong started to become controlling. Kyong would constantly check his phone and accuse him of things he didn't do because of his own insecurities. Jeongguk would assure him that he would never do anything to hurt him, but Kyong wouldn't believe him. He stopped letting him go to parties, stopped letting him talk to his friends, and he even started choosing what Jeongguk would wear and wouldn't wear. He'd say the worst things that would crush Jeongguk's big heart.

And then, he started getting physical. Jeongguk flinched just thinking about the first time Kyong hit him. He remembered how cold he sounded as he said, Look what you made me do. That's when Jeongguk grew silent. He truly did believe it was his fault that Kyong stopped loving him. It's not like he could just run away though. If Kyong found him, he'd just get hurt again. There was no escape and Jeongguk was too afraid to even try. His heart was slowly being chipped away at and his mind was deteriorating from the abuse. Deep down in his broken heart, he hoped that Kyong would come clean.

He never got to see the day come. Jeongguk sat up suddenly as his eyes became watery. "What did I do wrong, Tae? What did I do to make him stop loving me?" he cried. Taehyung pursed his lips together. Jeongguk was a wreck. Taehyung gently wiped the boy's tears and rested his hands just above his hips. He suddenly recalled seeing the pictures that investigator Min had shown him. They'd taken pictures of Jeongguk's body while he was still unconscious so that they could be used in court. Taehyung burst into tears when he saw them. Dark purple bruises littered his ribs along with cuts that seemed to be self-inflicted.

He was severely underweight and his skin was almost translucent. His pretty face was covered in scratches and scrapes from hitting the concrete. And the blood. There was so much blood on his body that it made Taehyung queasy. Just thinking about how much he'd have to go through to have that much blood on his body made him sick. He shakily rubbed his sides, trying desperately to rid the images from his mind. "I don't know baby... you're so perfect, I don't know why he'd just throw you away like that," Taehyung spoke honestly.

He couldn't see how someone could hurt such a pure soul like Jeongguk. Hearing Taehyung say that made Jeongguk feel a little bit better. At least I have someone who cares about me now... Jeongguk spared Taehyung a weak smile, causing his heart to swell. He really was perfect in his eyes. "I-I'm sorry for ruining the mood." "You didn't ruin the mood baby, it's okay. You're just trying to work through some stuff, and that's perfectly fine. Don't feel bad about it," Taehyung shushed.

Jeongguk nodded and made an attempt to get off of him, but was stopped by Taehyung's pout. "Don't leave, it's cold," he whined. Jeongguk giggled and wrapped his arms around Taehyung's neck. Taehyung suddenly stood up, holding onto Jeongguk's thighs as he made his way into the kitchen. Jeongguk's face flushed bright red upon feeling Taehyung's big hands on his thighs. He was set down on the counter and flashed a sweet smile. "Do you want to help me make dinner?" Jeongguk's heart dropped. He had to eat. He couldn't just bail out this time.

"S-Sure."